• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (32 Viewers)

Mid-afternoon quite period I guess guys? I guess as evening approaches then you'll get a second chance at things like Grasshopper Warbler and Cuckoo that I think are still missing?

Target areas might be worth checking!

Flashes- Worth keeping an eye on the fences at the back for Stonechat or Whinchat, maybe a bush watch from the southern end of the hide for Redstart.

Moors- Has Snipe been seen, Shoveler? Also Siskin and Redpoll?

Checking down the Salwarpe for Spot Fly (might be a bit early)

Should be worth checking every gull flying over for Common and GBBG.

Keep the enthusiasm up

Just wish I could be there!

Up the mecca for my token few hours on the all dayer Whimbrel at both the Flashes and the Moors possibly the same bird as it flew off calling from the Flashes. Little Gull and Black Tern performing well at the Moors still, good to see them braving the cold wind.Did get Jay as I left car park. Got my copy of the 2011 Bird Report excellent as usual with the bird of the year the Bluethroat on the front cover. Loads of stats to take in with 155 birds for the year. Bargain for £2.50

Last edited:
I'm heading down to the reserve tomorrow for a few hours see what photos I can get. John, will you be onsite for us to get a day pass from matey?

Will look out for you, more than likely down at the flashes hide ;)

Hi all,

First time on the all dayer and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.The company and banter at the various location was fantastic.Thanks to everyone i met today.B :)

The start of the photo`s begins with a few of the scarcer species.
Best i can do on the Black Tern. It was quite content working the middle of the Moors.

Chris

Attachments

• barnacle 2 copy.jpg
    barnacle 2 copy.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 78
  • little gull 3 copy.jpg
    little gull 3 copy.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 90
  • black tern 2 copy.jpg
    black tern 2 copy.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 114
  • yellow wag 4 copy.jpg
    yellow wag 4 copy.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 110
Spent a great morning on the Reserve today. The place looked great with some sunshine on it at last. Great to meet some great characters with funny banter. Black Tern highlight for me.

Well done to the hardcore who were doing the full shift....

Hard core all off to bed. I'm sure we will put some sort of report together tomorrow.
Belvide 88
Middleton 95
Marsh Lane 83
Upton 84.
Great effort by all teams
:gn:John

cheers for the cake Rob (forgetfulelephant) - chocolate, hazel and courgette nice

Last edited:
Hard core all off to bed. I'm sure we will put some sort of report together tomorrow.
Belvide 88
Middleton 95
Marsh Lane 83
Upton 84.
Great effort by all teams
:gn:John

cheers for the cake Rob (forgetfulelephant) - chocolate, hazel and courgette nice

Well done guys sorry not to be part of it but home duties call !!!!!! looks like you had a great day and we came third not bad for a small reserve shows all the hard work done by you guys is paying off keep it going B :)

Spring All-Day Birdwatch - Saturday 5th May

The full species list was as follows:

Mute Swan (2 Moors, 2 Sailing Pool), Canada Goose, Greylay Goose (2 mobile birds), Barnacle Goose (1 on Moors mid morning before flying south over the Sailing Pool), Shelduck (3 at the Flashes), Mallard, Gadwall (male Moors, pair Flashes), Teal (2 female Moors), Tufted Duck, Little Grebe (2 Moors), GC Grebe, Cormorant (1 Moors briefly), Grey Heron (3 Moors), Coot, Moorhen, Water Rail, Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Peregrine (2 on masts), Hooby (seen twice at Moors), Pheasant, Avocet (10 Flashes), Oystercatcher (5 Moors), Little Ringed Plover (6 Flashes), Lapwing, Common Sandpiper (3 Flashes + 3 Moors early morning), Whimbrel (Flashes before moving to the Moors mid afternoon), Black-headed Gull, Common Gull (2s on Flashes, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Little Gull (1s on Moors all day before roosting at the Flashes), Mediterranean Gull (2s on Moors midday then seen at the Flashes), Common Tern (2 Moors), Black Tern (Moors from mid morning), Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, Stock Dove, Collared Dove, GS Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Short-eared Owl, Swift, Kingfisher, Pied Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail (3 or 4 birds over the day, including a male in Amys Marsh), Skylark, Swallow (up to 150 at Moors), House Martin (up to 150 at Moors), Sand Martin (up to 30 at Moors), Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Blackcap, Garden Warbler (near the chestnut tree at the end of the causeway at Moors), Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat (notable influx with 5 birds around the Sailing Pool / Flashes), Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Starling, Raven, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Jay, Magpie, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting.

In the circumstances - no wader passage and a very cold N/NE wind) - the total of 84, slightly above average, was very commendable. It was nice to have a few "headline birds" in the shape of Little Gull, Whimbrel, Black Tern and Med Gull and even better that all but the last one lingered for the majority of the day, affording everyone good views. The ultimate highlight however was the Short-eared Owl which quartered the crop field behind the Sailing Pool from around 7:30ish before moving over to hunt at the Flashes giving great views to the ten or so of us still standing at that point! SE Owl and Little Gull were new for the Spring All-Dayer whilst it was only the second time Med Gull had been recorded and third for Black Tern.

Species that remained missing for the day included Little Owl, Tawny Owl, House Sparrow and Cuckoo together with a whole host of waders that might potentially be expected (Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Redshank etc).

Many thanks for all the observations and banter throughout the course of a long day from John (Upstarts), Daniel (Whoever), Peter E, Tony H, Paul A, Paul M, Terry H, Phil Q, Graham LaB, Mike (Wheatearlrp), Gavo, Paul C (Oriole Boy), Stuart C, Paul (Beyonder), Chris (Cooky), Gert (Gertatron), Trevor (Discors), John R, John C, Mark (Woodwolf), Steve W, Gary (Biking Birder), Dave (Woodchat), Tim & Mary, Phil & Lyn, Phil Q, Rob (Forgetful Elephant), Jared, Claudy, Shaggy Bob and anyone else I may have overlooked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back