• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Other species managed yesterday by our rivals (Marsh Lane, Belvide and Middleton Lakes) but not recorded at Upton included:

Wigeon, Shoveler, Pochard, Red-breasted Merganser, Black-necked Grebe, Red-legged Partridge, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Dunlin, Redshank, Bar-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Whinchat, Wheatear, Meadow Pipit, Cetti's Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Willow Tit, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer

Last edited:
Hi all,

First time on the all dayer and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.The company and banter at the various location was fantastic.Thanks to everyone i met today.B :)

The start of the photo`s begins with a few of the scarcer species.
Best i can do on the Black Tern. It was quite content working the middle of the Moors.

Chris

I'm liking those images Cooky. Worth waiting for eh!

Rob

Other species managed yesterday by our rivals (Marsh Lane, Belvide and Middleton Lakes) but not recorded at Upton included:

Wigeon, Shoveler, Red-breasted Merganser, Black-necked Grebe, Red-legged Partridge, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Dunlin, Redshank, Bar-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Whinchat, Wheatear, Meadow Pipit, Cetti's Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Willow Tit, Nuthatch, House Sparrow, Yellowhammer

Phil
what did we get that the other teams didn't.:t:

Thoroughly enjoyed the day yesterday thanks to all those involved. Pleased with my own total even though I could only tick chaffinch from a song :eek!: I know that breaks the rules for cloth-eared novices but I did get independent verification (Phil) before I put it down.

The quality of the birds definitely made it for me - black tern, a textbook med gull and whimbrel would have made ti a good day on any day but to get them in an all-dayer was special. Bird of the day was undoubtedly the SEO - stunning views of a great bird.

Thanks to all those who shared their knowledge and pointed out the birds I'd otherwise have missed - even sitting there with them right in front of me!!.

Paul H

Thoroughly enjoyed the day yesterday ...

Thanks to all those who shared their knowledge and pointed out the birds I'd otherwise have missed - even sitting there with them right in front of me!!.

Paul H

Yes, it was a very enjoyable experience, and I too would like to thank both the organisers and those individuals (sometimes the same people) who generously guided me towards new birds.

Thanks also to the obliging Garden Warbler who sung out in the open for about 5 minutes.

Are you listening, SEO?

Peter

Odonata and Lepidotera

At the reserve today were 2 fresh male Beautiful Demoiselles, which took me by surprise. A couple of Peacock's , quite a few Orange tips ( 4 females ) and 2 Common White Wave Moth's

..and a friendly Blackcap :t:

Attachments

• bd.jpg
    bd.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 63
  • bc.jpg
    bc.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 68
All dayer

Just to add to the comments above, A great day - started at 4 am, faded at 6.30 (thanks I think to the Starling Black Label!) As a result missed the SEO again! There's a moral there somewhere..
Anyway, I got 78 species, my personal best for a one day list at Upton so well chuffed. And good to meet people and put names to avatars and dodgy names on this forum8-P

I have created my own set of pictures of birds seen on the day which is here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/sets/72157629612045224/

B :)

Just to add to the comments above, A great day - started at 4 am, faded at 6.30 (thanks I think to the Starling Black Label!) As a result missed the SEO again! There's a moral there somewhere..
Anyway, I got 78 species, my personal best for a one day list at Upton so well chuffed. And good to meet people and put names to avatars and dodgy names on this forum8-P

You kept your day list quiet! Think Paul C and Mike ended up on 79; I was on 78ish. Shows that Paul's record day list of 81 is certainly beatable with a fair wind.

Perhaps on the next All-Dayer you could have a competition between you togs to see who can recognisably photograph the most species in one day.

Pretty potent stuff Gert but certainly helped me sleep for an hour or so yesterday afternoonB :)

Part timers, who was there again today:smoke:
mind you not till 1.30pm and spent 4 hours around the car park and north moors.
and slept on the North bench for a bit.
At the Moors
Little Gull, 3 common terns, lapwing, 4 Oycs. c200 hirundines 50 swift,
water rail 2 at north moors, garden warbler by east hide.

Flashes
Avocet 10, LRP 7, lapwing 3 only 1 sitting, common gull, common tern 2

warm sunny day's are certainly not conducive to migration.
B :)John

I am meeting a mate and his missus at UW at 6.30ish tonight before we go for a meal (don't worry he's a member 8-P) I was wondering if you guys have a preference what side to meet to get a better chance of the SEO?

Red Kite over the Moors Pool at 1015. First summer Little Gull still and Alan Hambury had a CUCKOO this morning!!

Last edited:
I am meeting a mate and his missus at UW at 6.30ish tonight before we go for a meal (don't worry he's a member 8-P) I was wondering if you guys have a preference what side to meet to get a better chance of the SEO?

I'd stick on the Flashes. Whether you stay in the tower hide or hang around the archery field is a moot point. might need to hang around for an hour or more if your getting there at 6.30 :eek!:

Was there till 9.15 last night and checked the archery field. No go mate but then again it has been missing for a couple of days. But it shouldn't really be around this late in the spring...poss a sign that spring is a t least 2 weeks later this year.:t:

Ok thanks Mike & John, I thought most reports were of it being there about 7ish?

I guess it all depends on the weather this evening, apparently it's going to be a bit wet :storm:

Monday 7th May

FLASHES
10 Avocet, 6 LRP, 3 Lapwing, 2 Shelduck, 4 Gadwall (one pair driven off towards the Flashes), 2 Shoveler (why werent they there on Saturday :-C), 3 Linnet, 9 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 3 Canada Geese, Greylag Goose over, 3 LBB Gull, Common Gull still

SAILING POOL
4 GC Grebe, 5 Tufted Duck, 4 Canada Geese, 2 Coot, 1 Mute Swan

MOORS POOL
First summer Little Gull still, 7 Common Terns (best count this year), 2 Gadwall, 2 Little Grebe, 5 GC Grebe, 27 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 27 Tufted Duck, 2 Mute Swan, 30 Canada Geese, Cuckoo reported singing this morning, Red Kite drifted south 1010>1015, 2 Yellow Wagtails over

This morning's increase in tern numbers may bode well for later with rain and SE winds.

Last edited:
Moors Pool

At approx 7.15am the BH Gulls were mobbing above an Otter feeding in the NW bay.After several attempts it caught what looked like a sizeable Eel which it dragged into the north reed bed.

Soon after a Cuckoo was calling from the direction of the education reserve.

Little Gull spent most of the morning on the east island.

Attachments

• 450D_000068.jpg
    450D_000068.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 450D_000091.jpg
    450D_000091.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 450D_000092.jpg
    450D_000092.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 64
See attached photo of today's flava wagtail. Note: this has been cropped but not adjusted in any other way.

The throat is yellow - good for Blue-headed Wagtail. However, I'm a bit concerned about the head - perhaps a shade too pale? - suggesting intergrade 'Channel Wagtail' possibly? I'd welcome anyones opinions on this bird.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Flava Wag UW 070512.jpg
    Flava Wag UW 070512.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 162

Users who are viewing this thread

Back