• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabelas Euro HD vs Meostar HD (1 Viewer)

sillyak

I searched this forum and found a thread from 2011 with the consensus being that the Cabelas Euro had identical optics to the Meostar. Can anyone confirm that Cabelas Euro HD has the same optics as the Meostar HD in 10x42mm? It seems odd to me that Cabelas whole line is labeled HD while only the 10x42mm Meostar has an HD variant. Makes one think that Cabelas just badged it HD and is using the standard Meostar. Anyone have insight? I have a large Cabelas gift card and they don't carry the Meostar line any place local to me to compare.

Yes, if you look for posts by 'MeoptaMan,' a Meopta employee, you will find several comments stating they are identical aside from the name, armoring, and accessories.

Justin

I searched this forum and found a thread from 2011 with the consensus being that the Cabelas Euro had identical optics to the Meostar. Can anyone confirm that Cabelas Euro HD has the same optics as the Meostar HD in 10x42mm? It seems odd to me that Cabelas whole line is labeled HD while only the 10x42mm Meostar has an HD variant. Makes one think that Cabelas just badged it HD and is using the standard Meostar. Anyone have insight? I have a large Cabelas gift card and they don't carry the Meostar line any place local to me to compare.

The 12x50 and 15x56 also appear as HD-versions.

I am waiting vor a 10x50 HD to sell my 10x42 HD. The MeoStar B1 in 7x42/7x50 would also be fine pair of binos.

Not that I don't like the quality of the 10x42 HD but I want a somewhat larger exit pupil.

And wait until they make their 8x56 in HD. This may outperform some other competitors in price-performance correlation.

The only backdraw I have found is that after a few month not using the Meopta the center focusing wheel was a little bit sticky at first.

Last edited:
I prefer an exit pupil of 5+mm as well, so was hoping Meopta would introduce either their 8 x 42 or 10 x 50 Meostars in the HD format. I sent an email to customer service last week and they simply replied that there are no plans to update either the 8 x 42 or 10 x 50 models into the HD model. Kind of disappointing.

Ya know there has to be an interesting explanation for why they have never introduced an "HD" model in anything but the current configurations. I assumed it just had to do with marketing/popularity..or was just a matter of time...but the exit pupil discussion has me thinking. You don't suppose it is some type of design issue?

What makes me wonder is why Meopta makes a "HD" version bino for Cabelas and not their own brand as is seen with the 32mm binos.

What makes me wonder is why Meopta makes a "HD" version bino for Cabelas and not their own brand as is seen with the 32mm binos.

Do they really need it?

They have mesopro/mesostar/HD/non HD/Euro in multiple sizes.
When do the options become too many?
Too many production lines?

edj

I kind of wondered if they were using the Meopro HD as an intermediate as they continue development of the HD Meostar series but that is just complete guesswork on my part. A 8x42 and 10x50 HD Meostar just Make too much sense to not produce.

I kind of wondered if they were using the Meopro HD as an intermediate as they continue development of the HD Meostar series but that is just complete guesswork on my part. A 8x42 and 10x50 HD Meostar just Make too much sense to not produce.

I have ALWAYS wondered why no Meostar 8X42.

Pulled the trigger on the 10x42 Euro HD as Cabela's had them on sale for $250 off this week. ($1069.99 CAD which currently equals $809 USD)

I've had them for over a month now. I am really enjoying them.

My quick impressions are:

Pros: very little CA, eye relief is just enough to get the full field with my glasses, good field of view, very sharp to the edge with no field curvature. I find the colour rendition/saturation to be very "alpha like". When you put these binos to your eye, in field condotions, you get that wow experience that you get with the alphas. I like the size, ergonomics and they feel very rugged.

Cons: fair amount of pincushion, which doesn't bother me but may be too much for some. Also, I thought it would control glare a bit better. It still does it better than many binos, but I was hoping for more. Weight is a wee bit excessive for a 10x42.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back