• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great-Crested Flycatcher! Critique Please! (1 Viewer)

Accipiter91

Well guys I decided to scrap the yellow-billed cuckoo until further notice so I did a Great Crested-Flycatcher (just finished it a couple minutes ago!) So, what do ya think? Thanks!

Attachments

• gcf 1.JPG
    gcf 1.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 116
  • gcf 2.JPG
    gcf 2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 131
  • gcf 3'.JPG
    gcf 3'.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 116
  • gcf 4.JPG
    gcf 4.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 102
The line that goes between upper and lower bill is a bit curved. People seem to read some emotional state from that, as if it were human.

I find bird pictures not to reveal much about their state, whereas movement and behavior tells more. Some of the best bird art, published, seems to capture some movement.

Good luck witht the project. Flycatchers are among my favorites.

Thanks! That is a problem that I have been trying to work on! Usually my birds look like they have a goofy, happy look on their face! One exception however was a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher I drew. It looked like it was annoyed!:-O

Hey Bobby, I am not in any position to critique sketches - as my level of drawing is in the "stick figure" category. But I think you are on to something, and keep it up! I have done a little bit of bird carving and I have gained such an appreciation for artisitic endevors. I think it can only help in your abilitiy to understand the subtleties of bird identification. All that said - I think the drawing is great - the impression of "Great-creasted flycatcher" is dead on, no mistaking that. I really like the detail in the feather grouping also. I think it is awsome Bobby, like I said keep it up! - Before you know it, it will be "Audubobs guide to NA birds". :t: :scribe: Take care dude - dave

Actually that's extremely nice- especially the wing detail. The only thing I'd think of working on is the position of the eye - to me it seems a little far from the beak, but that's just me! ;)

Love the feather detail in the wings and tail. I might agree the eye looks a bit set back, but overall this is a great drawing and I'd love to see more! Keep up the good work. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back