• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some more Aussie birds plus one import (1 Viewer)

Trevor Hawkins

Here's a few more Aussie bird sketches i've done recently, they are the Purple Swamphen, Black Cormorant, Spurwing plover, Australian crow plus one import from the other side of the world. I hope you enjoy them. Trevor.

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4182.jpg
    IMG_4182.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 115
Love the swamphen! Reminds me of the New Zealand pukeko. ;-) You really captured its expression well. Your straight-hatched lines in the drawings are bold and unique, and your overall handling of watermedia is nice, indeed.

Best wishes,

Laura

Thankyou Laura, Re the swamphen, if they aren't one and the same bird they are certainly related, in Australia the nickname (by anglers) for the swamphen is the 'bush chook'. Bush being a slang word we use for the Australian countryside, and 'chook' being slang for a hen or rooster.
I tend to work a lot in pencil, it's probably my favourite medium, it's so immediate. You may have noticed on the crow (not on the cormorant) that i have some white lines on different angles from the pencil strokes. They are eraser marks, i often also use the eraser as a drawing tool to smudge and blur to add effect.

Eraser marks? Ah, yes! I see that now. Very cool effect. What sort of eraser do you use? I just discovered the Japanese Mono Zero for fine linear effects.

P.S. "Bush chook" sounds much more Aussie (and therefore way cooler) than "swamp hen". I like it. :)

Hope to see even more of your work,

Laura

I usually draw on the same paper i paint on which is heavy 640gm hot press so it can take a fair amount of handling and scrubbing if need be. So i normally just use any quite hard eraser such as a Staedtler that i can trim back with a scalpel blade to give me fine edges if i need them throughout the work.
I'll see if i can hunt a few other sketches i've done that show more of that erasing effect.
Thankyou for the interest in my work Laura, and yes i agree 'bush chook' definitely sounds more Aussie. Here's a couple more, we call rabbit 'underground mutton' because in the depression days that's the only meat families had to eat to replace lamb meat, crocodiles 'floating logs' because in the wild northern rivers they will just float on the surface and drift with the current like logs. I'll check out those erasers you've mentioned.
Trevor.

Here's a few more pencil sketches Laura that may show the eraser marks i often use. It depends on how i'm feeling or the sketch itself as to how much i use it. I've found it can be overdone and then it looks a bit 'tricky' rather than part of the overall drawing process.

Attachments

• IMG_4189.jpg
    IMG_4189.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4191.jpg
    IMG_4191.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4192.jpg
    IMG_4192.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4193.jpg
    IMG_4193.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 114
All are really nice, but I think the pheasant is my favorite - I grew up with them. Beautiful birds!

Yes, a Brown treecreeper Rodrigo. With my art and my writing i spend a lot of time in the bush (Australian countryside) sketching and taking photographs. The more detailed works are mostly off photographs, the loose sketches like the treecreeper are from life.

I used to live in north QLD many years ago, and did a lot of field work in the bush (Kimberley and Northern Territory). Your paintings and sketches make me a bit nostalgic about those days. I wish I had been more confident to sketch birds in the wild back then... maybe I will be whenever I go back there :)
Thanks again for sharing!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back