• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

Had no luck yesterday with black ducks. Plenty of wheatears up near Brown Willy Tor in awful weather! 15 Stormies still lingering off Swanpool this morning.

Had no luck yesterday with black ducks. Plenty of wheatears up near Brown Willy Tor in awful weather! 15 Stormies still lingering off Swanpool this morning.

Henerz, will you e-mail me your sightings please. I dont always look on here and missed these ones so didnt get on the website. Any sign of that report about Argal and college res? Cheers,

All sorted Paul. Thanks

The article is now on site. Looks pretty good i think. Good content too. I noticed a bit where you put Marsh and Willow tit. I wasnt aware that willow tit have been recorded at either site. They dont get seen very often anyfurther west than Goss Moor, and there arent that many there either. I will check through the old bird reports to see if they have ever occured there. Thanks for the sightings too. Regards,

I saw a Willow Tit twice this winter in the woodlands at College Res. but only 1 bird and not since feb sadly. Defo willows though!

Bake Lakes Trerulefoot

Had a walk around the lakes this morning not a lot about did see 3 Sedge warbler and a few willow warblers most of the Tufted duck have gone only saw one female with two young lots of Swallows and House Martins and a few goldfinches.

Attachments

• IMG_2056_1.jpg
    IMG_2056_1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1978_1.jpg
    IMG_1978_1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2028_1.jpg
    IMG_2028_1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 103
Hi all
I will be holidaying in StIves from next Saturday for a couple of weeks.
Where are the best spots to visit local to StIves. I do not like to drive too far while on holiday as it is what I do for a living!
I have seen Hayle estury mentioned a few times - I will pass there most days on my way to do some body boarding - so where do I stop to get best views.
All help much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going, especially TAV94!! I'm working on a new website at the moment so would appreciate your sightings, comments and photos for that soon (www.cornwall-birding.co.uk). Will put a new thread on when its up and running properly.

WoW great looking site with tons of info , im moving down soon (STC) so hope i might be able to contribute a little to it , even though im not a real birder :)

Great work.

Kingsmill Lake Saltash

Four Greenshanks from hide two and a Kingfisher, herd a Sedge Warbler,a few Greenfinch and Goldfinch about very quiet at the moment.Kingsmill Lake is part of the river Tamar and there are two hides there can be a good spot in the winter months the hides are all in good condition.

Attachments

• IMG_2052_1.jpg
    IMG_2052_1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Greenfinch Bake_1.jpg
    Greenfinch Bake_1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1707_1.jpg
    IMG_1707_1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 106
Hi all
I will be holidaying in StIves from next Saturday for a couple of weeks.
Where are the best spots to visit local to StIves. I do not like to drive too far while on holiday as it is what I do for a living!
I have seen Hayle estury mentioned a few times - I will pass there most days on my way to do some body boarding - so where do I stop to get best views.
All help much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Steve, I've sent you a PM. As an afterthought, you can catch the train from St Ives to Lelant Saltings on the Hayle Estuary, save you driving! Regards,

I spent an hour early afternoon in the hide overlooking Chaple Amble Marsh. Apart from a Green Sandpiper the only other bird of note was a Hobby hunting over the marsh which perched briefly in the dead tree in front of the hide. Roger

Kingsmill Lake Saltash

Nice morning so went to have a look on the Tamar at Kingsmill Lake Not a lot seen from the hide so walked up the beach and found a nice group of waders on the far bend.20+ Dunlin,17 Greenshanks,50+ Redshank,30+ Curlew,3 Grey Herons,4 Shellduck with young,1 Little Grebe 20+ BH gulls and 5 Little Egrets.

Attachments

• IMG_2065_1.jpg
    IMG_2065_1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2092_1.jpg
    IMG_2092_1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2081_1.jpg
    IMG_2081_1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 106
West Muds Torpoint

2 Sandwitch Terns, 1 Common Tern,2 Whimbrel,1 Greenshank 6 Redshanks and 60+ Black-headed gulls.

Attachments

• IMG_2240_1.jpg
    IMG_2240_1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2270_1.jpg
    IMG_2270_1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2209_1.jpg
    IMG_2209_1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2257_1.jpg
    IMG_2257_1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 118
Whitesands Bay

A Group of 24+Commen Scoter,10 Gannets,2 LBBgulls 1GBB gull.

Attachments

• IMG_2334_1.jpg
    IMG_2334_1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 135
Millbrook Lake and Rame Area.

A single Egyptian Goose has turned up on the lake seems to be quite tame.Allso seen 20+ Redshank,1 Greenshank,15 Black-headed gulls and 9 Cormorants.

Had a look around Rame Head a few Gannets 3 Ravens,4 Buzzard,1 kestrel,6 Whitethroats,2 Sedge Warblers,2 Chiffchaffs,12 Goldfinches,25 Greenfinches.

Attachments

• IMG_2351_1.jpg
    IMG_2351_1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2361_1.jpg
    IMG_2361_1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2371_1.jpg
    IMG_2371_1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 127
Hi guys.
I'm going to be staying in Falmouth for the next two days, I wonder if anyone can advise me on good sites in the area/recent sightings?

Thanks,

Jyothi

Hi Jyothi, hope you got my e-mails on the subject. Swanpool has had Whimbrel, Little Egret and Med Gulls in the last few days.

I haven't been there for a while myself but I can recommend the walk from Penryn town along the river penryn towards Flushing. Along this shortish walk (c2km) there are a couple of tidal creeks which towards high tide at this time of year could have some decent waders. Take your scope and scan from the footpath to avoid scaring the birds. Birds seen there in the last few years include Laughin Gull, Wood Sand, Green Sand, Spot'Shank, Greenshank, Curlew Sand.
Stithians reservoir is a short bus ride from Falmouth (on the 2a, get off at rame cross and walk to the res, c 2km again). You probably know the reputation of this place and it is due a rarity!
Back near Swanpool, S.W of Falmouth the headland of Pennance Point or beyond Maenporth, the headland of Rosemullion are good for a spot of seawatching with possible Balearic Shearwater at the mo and perhaps a Storm Petrel or two.

Hope this helps. Tell us how you get on. Thanks.
Henerz

Cheers Henerz, apologies for not replying to the emails, my email has been down for some time.
Many thanks for the information, I'll let you know how i get on.
Jyothi

Cheers Henerz, apologies for not replying to the emails, my email has been down for some time.
Many thanks for the information, I'll let you know how i get on.
Jyothi

Hello Jyothi, is your e-mail working now? I thought you were going to get in touch when you were coming down? Regards, Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back