• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bees and bumblebees on hummingbird feeders? (1 Viewer)

I've seen bumblebees, honey bees, yellow jackets, and wasps at the feeders, at one time or another. But, I've also seen the hummers run them off.

There is something that happens that we haven't figured out why yet. The heat, or the barometric pressure, or something, causes the liquid to expand and leak out the feeder holes, onto the ground and bushes. Of course, it's on the feeder's base too. That's usually when we see the bees at them. It doesn't happen all the time, so I guess that's why it's so hard to figure out why it happens. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.

I have to be careful and not fill my feeders to the brim because I store the nectar (sugar + water that I mix up) in the refrig so it goes from 40 degrees F to 104 degrees F, which definitely causes expansion. Remember that water is densest at 4 degrees centigrade (about 39 degrees F). If I happen to overfill, some weeps out of the holes (I have bowl style feeders) and it attracts bees and ants. But even if you mix your nectar at room temp, in the summer time it could be 30 degrees F warmer outside which will cause expansion of the water solution.

Last edited:
I jokingly call the Gila Woodpeckers "my Texas Hummingbirds". Here is a good picture of one. You can also listen to their call. http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/178/overview/Gila_Woodpecker.aspx

I've seen pictures of these, but look forward to seeing them in person someday. Your description of them snapping at bees caught my imagination - I feel like it's "take that bees, it's my feeder". Or as bug hunters, the Gilas might feel that the feeder is a good place for waiting for the food to come to them. (I assume that the hummingbirds don't manage to scare away the Gila.)

So, you're an expatriate. Are you there on business, school, or permanently?

Long term work. I try to keep not only two cultures in mind now, but also two sets of birds!

Your description of them snapping at bees caught my imagination - I feel like it's "take that bees, it's my feeder". Or as bug hunters, the Gilas might feel that the feeder is a good place for waiting for the food to come to them. (I assume that the hummingbirds don't manage to scare away the Gila.)
The bees don't scare the woodpecker at all and I don't think he wants to eat them. He's intent upon eating the nectar and the bees just seem to "get in his way".

Long term work. I try to keep not only two cultures in mind now, but also two sets of birds!
You should post some pics of the birds there. I'm sure others would love to see them too.

Each of my four bowl feeders has about 4-5 honey bees at all times now. The hummers don't seem to be afraid of them, just careful. They scoot in and get a drink but move out of the way if the bees get too close. I've never seen the bees go after the hummingbirds and likewise, I've never seen the hummingbirds attack the bees. I know some have mentioned seeing hummers act aggressively toward bees but I haven't seen that. Could be due to different hummer species and another factor may be that virtually all honey bees here are Africanized.

BTW, the honey bees don't go after me when I change the nectar. But I am careful. ;)

Well I have been hanging hummingbird feeders for probably 15 years or long and I have never been bothered with bees on the feeders! My husband hangs the feeders and spills some of the sugar water every time. One thing I have noticed is that my garden has almost phased out so I don't have any blossoms out there to attract the bees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back