• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian/Yellow Legged Gull... (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Any pointers on picking them out in the field?

Living in Stockholm, interested in first field impressions, esp Caspian. Are longer legs that noticable, bill tone and gape line, front heavy appearance, dark eye, dove face and attenuated rear that obvious....?

Pariah said:
Yep.

Dont bother!

Manky winged rats!!:D

Pariah

a gull purist then Pariah......?!!

May lead on to bigger and better things, for example finding Irelands first Pallas Gull at the lough because you popped down to check the local Herring Gulls for a Yellow Legged...

the quest for one treasure often leads to another.....!

As a famous irish birder once said.
Theres only 2 types of gull.
Ivory gull. And Gull sp. ;)

Im not that much of a purist tho...all the small gulls are nice.
Audoins and Great black headed are worthy of my attention.
As are the whitewinged jobs.
Its the herring and lesser black backed complexes that fail to raise any interest for me.
Manky disgusting looking jobs!;)
LUMP EM!!!

Pariah

Hi all

I would also really appreciate some sensible answers to this question!

In particular: is there a sure-fire way of telling adult YLG from pale-mantled adult LBBG? In the Med flocks of YLGs are obvious; but I often find lone birds in the UK difficult, particularly if there are no other gulls around for comparison of, eg, mantle colour.

I suspect studying loads of LBBGs is the way, but I'd love to find a shortcut.

atb
James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back