• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

I few people all around Breydon scaning from both the rugby club and the asda side when I drove past at 12 the tide seemed to be high at present

Cheers Gary, got onto the bird mid-afternoon; but it wasn't keen on giving itself up too easily!
Myself and another birder (from Ipswich) called the Broad-billed at almost exactly the same time, we had satisfactory but brief views. A group of birders then arrived, and we were unable to get them onto the bird at first since everything turned out to be a Dunlin, and our bird had presumably retired to the channel and deeper mud flats.
There was something else out there that none of us could ID with any certainty. It was pale underneath, less rufous on top, with a drooping bill. It looked relatively long-legged, similar in size to the Dunlin. The tail seemed 'stunted'. Any ideas?! Sanderling, a second Broad-billed and Dunlin were all discussed at the time. Some on site believed this Broad-billed to be a different individual to the one seen 27th-28th May, so maybe that was what we saw.
Anyway, THE Broad-Billed Sandpiper did eventually offer good views, as usual with tricky birds it showed well on the way back to the car, after having hiked a little further than I had realised/intended. Great looking bird, head pattern not dissimilar to Common Snipe, also a more methodical feeder than the Dunlin.
Cheers,
Jim.

ps bird was seen in Suffolk, but later flew in the direction of Norfolk!

Found a Spotted Flycatcher in the 'Collared Flycatcher' Tree at Holme today and a stunning Grey Wagtail dropped in briefly in front of NOA Redwell Marsh Hide.

See blog for full update.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

The Sculthorpe birds are a different kettle of fish. They are reported to have been deliberately released (I'm not going to speculate why...). Even if that assertion turned out to be unfounded and they weren't released there, then they must at best be escapees. I think we can be pretty certain that they didn't make their own way there from any self-sustaining feral population.

A couple of years ago, someone "dumped" a Peacock and two Peahens in Hempnall Village. One of the Peahens disappeared quite quickly and the remaining pair were left to their own devices. Over the summer they successfully bred and reared four or five young to juvenile age. Some of the locals didn't like the idea of resident Peacocks in the village, the main two reasons explained to me being poo and noise, so I believe all were captured and re-homed on some nice estate somewhere. It was a pleasing distraction from work though and helped me through the hot summer months.

Pyrtle , the Swanton Novers watchpoint is far from raptorless. No honey buzzards yet true , ( apart from a displaying male a few weeks ago ) but common buzzards are aproaching plauge levels. Joking of course , but 10 - 12 birds in the air at once most days ( and this before any young have fledged ) and up to 18 recorded some days. One observer recorded 135 common buzzard sightings in a couple of hours . Red kite regulary being picked up too along with kestrel , sparrowhawk and hobby. But the early hours when the quail are calling is not the best time of day for raptors.

Beautiful evening at Surlingham Church Marsh yesterday. 2 Barn Owls were seen, one flew by very close, glancing over in my direction before continuing on its way. Both birds were seen carrying food, if only I had means to follow them!
The Grasshopper Warblers that have been silent for some time put on a show for me as dusk fell. 4 Birds were reeling on the reserve, and another over the river. I actually managed decent views of one individual, and I would urge others to check out these birds whilst they are still reeling.
As passerine activity dropped off, Egyptian Geese and Gadwall flew in to roost on the lagoon. Around the church ruins, a number of bats were feeding. Some were small enough to be Pips, although a couple of larger individuals looked akin to Natterer; although until I actually purchase a detector I won't know for sure.
A late drive, stopping to listen, round Surlingham, Rockland and Claxton was sadly uneventful, but Quail seem to be arriving all the time so I will try again in a week or so.
Cheers,
Jim

Is the eagle owl still at large in Hunstanton? Twice this week I have had brief views of a very large owl almost buzzard sized with a pale brown back and both in good light before sunset and about 9.30 this morning , but on both occasions I was unable to get the bins on it.

hey Guys, my blog has moved to www.showingwell.com

I am still in the depths of sorting it out so please forgive its basic form at the moment.

If you would like your own site or blog added to the links section please inbox me and I will be more than happy to add you on.

Cheers guys and happy birding

Pyrtle , the Swanton Novers watchpoint is far from raptorless. One observer recorded 135 common buzzard sightings in a couple of hours . But the early hours when the quail are calling is not the best time of day for raptors.

Umm, one buzzard being seen 135 times in two hours is still one buzzard...I appreciate that up to 12 birds in one count may have been recorded. We heard the quail on Monday at about 1130 through to midday, optimum time for hbs at this site? Additionally Tideliner, is it an accepted theory or proven that if a goshawk or two is holding territory at a site that the chances of hbs in that area ( particularly a breeding pair) is drastically curtailed or even not going to happen?
Regards, P

Is the eagle owl still at large in Hunstanton? Twice this week I have had brief views of a very large owl almost buzzard sized with a pale brown back and both in good light before sunset and about 9.30 this morning , but on both occasions I was unable to get the bins on it.

Eagle Owl still in Hunstanton today.

Honey buzzards and goshawks do not mix in the average wood. Perhaps they can get by in a huge forest , but its less likely in North Norfolks fragmented woodlands.There was a study done in Sweden where they found no large forest raptors would nest within 2.5 km of a goshawk nest.

Awesome seawatching at Cley tonight from 7.30pm to 9pm with M.G. Eddie M. and Andy J. Loads of Manxies, Auks, Med Gulls, Little gulls, Gannets. Felt like an autumn seawatch!!!!!!!!

Full update on blog shortly.

Penny:girl:

Honey buzzards and goshawks do not mix in the average wood. Perhaps they can get by in a huge forest , but its less likely in North Norfolks fragmented woodlands.There was a study done in Sweden where they found no large forest raptors would nest within 2.5 km of a goshawk nest.

Thanks Rob. P

Titchwell RSPB Saturday 4th June

Spoonbill Freshmarsh 1030am
Bittern Flight views throughout the day from the westbank path south of Island hide
Red crested pochard 1 male grazing meadow pool
Black tailed godwit 150 freshmarsh
Manx shearwater 15 east 11am
Knot 1000+beach

Coastguards, Cley — 5am-10.10am

Gannets – 276
Auk sp. – 72
Little Gulls – 18
Razorbills –3 (sitting on sea)
Guillemots – 46 (3 sitting on sea)
Manx Shearwaters – 6
Little Tern – 44
Common Scoter – 11
Cormorant – 6
Fulmers – 7
Kittiwake –1

Also another seawatch in the evening.

See blog for full account/update.

I hear that Sheringham had big numbers and also 3 Puffins!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Encouraged by the mega found further north today I did a quick seawatch from Cley:
Sum plum G N Diver close in west
Razorbill x3
Guillemot, Fulmar and Gannets past

I then walked up the Point:
Spot Fly (my first this year)
Wheatear x2
Willow Warbler

No mega.. But a nice day out. Nice to have a bit of rain for a change too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back