• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura,Spain. April/May 2017 (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

Another photographic expedition with my pal Mike in what has become an annual event. This time we'd chosen Spain, new territory for me.
You can follow the trials and tribulations of this wannabe wildlife photographer on my blog below.

Another photographic expedition with my pal Mike in what has become an annual event. This time we'd chosen Spain, new territory for me.
You can follow the trials and tribulations of this wannabe wildlife photographer on my blog below.

Some great photos but I share your frustration with your focusing issues - mine were ten times worse than yours but in the end mine was the camera setup - hopefully now have corrected 'settings'...

Some unbelievable shots Mike and Dave....it would be difficult to select any particular shot as outstanding as they're all good, however for me....the Pallid Swift, Bluethroat, Rock Bunting and flying Montagu's are up there with the best. Well done...a great photo expedition. :t:

Thanks for the comments both. Ken I'm not sure if you are reading the blog or looking at Mike and my Flickr pages.
The continuing story of our trip has a couple of more episodes added to my blog.
I must also say that Mike's interpretation of the trip will differ from mine too. I seemed to be a bit ill fated this time around but overall it was still a good experience. I think we have all experienced the highs and lows at various times it's just some don't like to admit their mistakes whereas I try to deliver a warts and all approach.
cheers Dave

I always enjoy your trip reports, Dave. You give a very good impression of the overall experience! I agree that there are some great photos there, your misgivings not withstanding.

Andrea

Best ornithological-related photos on the web Dave, you ought to publish a book of your favourite ones, or at least try to.

Best ornithological-related photos on the web Dave, you ought to publish a book of your favourite ones, or at least try to.

That's overly generous of you to say so and appreciated but along with some other bad luck of late I have just lost nearly all my travel photos for the last 9 years . My attempts to retrieve them are not going well with most files corrupted.Yes, I should have backed them up sooner but in the grand scheme of things worse things can happen.
At least I can look at my blog and Flickr pages still, just can't play with the originals anymore.

Dave, after reading the account of your combined experiences (yourself and Mike's), being "locked in" and being subjected to conditions (near frostbite to the extremities...and on meagre rations for 8 hours at a time) that the paparazzi couldn't tolerate at no doubt with 000'£'s for a single image! I can only applaud your respective efforts, clearly a passion of like minds and a veritable treasure trove of fantastic images, don't think I could go through the "incarceration" though.....think I'll stick to point and shoot...well done to the two of you. :t:

Again just a wonderful trip report and stunning images.
Having just visited the same region, the quality of your photography simply dazzles. The bird shots are quite extraordinary in themselves, but in addition their technical quality is splendid.
Thank you for sharing them.

That must hurt, Dave! I hope you'll have more luck with recovering your photos eventually.

Andrea
Thanks Andrea. I don't think there will be too much joy though.
I think what happened was that I clicked and dragged all the folders from one external hard drive to another, about 1TB in total. The computer automatically shut down after a set time of inactivity ( which might not include moving files) as it is programmed to do and I'd forgotten to change it. As the operation was incomplete it simply dumped the files and not in the recycle bin.
I should have copied and pasted each folder one at a time.
So far the "Disk Drill" programme I have downloaded seems to have found lots of deleted files but not the ones I'm looking for.
I'm a little bit upset that I can't go back and use the RAW files and try and improve them as and when I want to on a dark winters night but there again, how often do you want to do that anyway?
Much better to move on, revisit everywhere and try and get some more!
cheers Dave

Cracking combo of superb pix and your write up of the whole experience. To me the Common Sandpiper pix stand out for being wonderful shots of an oft- ignored species.

Cheers
Mike

Nooooooo! That's a shame, well it doesn't matter too much as the shot was poor anyway. Amazing that so many people had been taken in by it if indeed it isn't an Eagle.
Anyway, my last days bog has now been added and there are a few Black kite shots for comparison!
cheers
Dave

Thanks for all the kind comments that have been left. Glad to have been able to entertain and hopefully inform you of potential trip opportunities.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back