• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

uganda - october or february (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
Hi

Pretty certain we will be heading to uganda in the next 12 months for our next african adventure. Planning to do the usual murchison, budongo, kibale, QENP, bwindi, mburo circuit in oct but should we delay and go jan/feb instead? Esp interested in the beeaters, rollers, turacos, shoebill etc....any i would miss in oct but would see in jan/feb?

thanks
Tony

October or Jan

I went to Uganda in Oct. 2010. We saw I think 10 species of Bee-eaters, 5 Rollers, 3 Turacos, 2 Flufftails, and 5 individual Shoebills. We didn't go to Mgahinga, but did go to Semliki N.P., Semuliki Wildlife Reserve and Kidepo N.P. Most days we had heavy rain in the afternoon which often quietened the birding down completely, but it was an excelent trip.

We were there in January this year - in fact, from 27 Dec 2010 - 15 Jan 2011. We got a reasonable selection of species in that time (just over 550 species to be exact) including all the things you are after.

Our basic route was Mabira - Murchisan Falls - Kibale - QENP - Bwindi - Lake Mburo NP. The only real specials that we didn't get (although we knew at this time of year, we would probably dip them!) was Green-breasted Pitta and African Green Broadbill. Both of those are best searched for in June-July.

Good luck with your trip - it is an amazing destination!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back