• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/Monopod (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Hi All

I've been using an FZ38 for normal photography for a while and after reading this forum it seems the ideal kit for a few snaps of birds. I've also got a Panny 1.7 TC & adaptor but have never used them. If I was to use them together for bird photography would I also need to use a tripod or monopod to stop camera shake?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

That depends on the levels of light available:

1: by setting the camera to take several pictures in a row while the shutter is held down, you will often find that one image is sharper than the rest

2: it will still be important to try to hold the shutter time short, or maybe better stated that when there is plenty of light a tripod is not necessary while it becomes more useful as the light levels go down

Often, bracing yourself or the camera against something found on the spot (a pole or whatever) you can get the same benefit as with a monopod.

Niels

I often have a tripod with me as I use a Scope so I can put the camera on that but often i just rest the camera on top of the Scope - my camera is a Fuji HS20 and I have a Raynox 2025 2.2 converter which is HUGE - the tripod mount on the camera is as usual too far away from the centre of balance to be much use - my DSLR long lens has it's own mount so balances quite well.
So...using the HS20 I more often than not rest the camera on my rucksack or hedge or something or as mentioned use burst mode and hope to get a good frame.

I bought a monopod years ago and only ever used it once as a walking aid - as a photographic aid I found it a hindrance - without a head it's quicker to use but nothing is level - with a head it's slower and (for me) still of no use plus you can rip over it.

One of my worst buys ever but at the time I convinced myself I needed one so I bought an expensive one - waste of money now that everything has image stabilisation.

My tripod is a lightweight carbon fibre and was well worth the cost as it gets used a lot and as I walk everywhere the lack of weight is much appreciated.

Thanks for the answers; seems I have a lot to learn; I've only ever used the camera in auto mode so I need to familiarise myself with the other settings. I have a Slik Sprint MK2 tripod that folds down to about 15", so can pop that in the rucksack if the light is low. Again it's a piece of equipment that has hardly been used, seems there's a lot more skill needed in capturing the birds having only been a snapper until now.
Thanks again.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back