• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Those terns are making me green with envy, perfect shape. The accommodating plover has a Jonsson feel to it - a compliment on a par with an Ennion reference. Oh and I love that head on sanderling, great angle.

God, I must get back into sketching again. I seem to have fazed from it at the moment - not enough hours in the day for one thing. I've not done anything for months.

Love all of 'em Tim, but the terns are simply 'above and beyond'. You're all raising the bar here.

I was allowed to stop out a bit longer on fathers' day too. I've slipped in one from last week, the little owls in the nest box were just about to fledge, in fact one brave explorer came out, perched on a branch, then quickly pushed his way back in again past his two curious siblings. He then sat in the entrance looking pleased with himself, who could resist?

The most remarkable thing about sunday was an encounter with a snipe who obviously hadn't read the standard field manual for snipe which clearly states that a snipe should remain difficult to see at all times. This guy just sat by the road and allowed me to approach (in the car) to within three or four metres. After my usual 'Draw it quick before it buggers off!' approach, I realised that he wasn't going to vanish so I slowed myself down and got a half decent portrait done. This snipe has been a regular in the same area for a few weeks now but he's not always been so easy to see! Perhaps he knew it was fathers' day so gave me a treat.

A trip out to the first hide meant I was able to watch avocets noisily defending their chicks from all comers - they seem to dislike redshanks particularly. The warm sunshine (at last) was being enjoyed by good numbers of blackwits and redshanks and I had time to get the watercolours out.

On the way back I spotted one of the little owl youngsters from the box, this time sitting on a fairly prominent fencepost watching the swallows as they buzzed around him.

Then finally I watched a male marsh harrier plummet into the long grass and when he came back up he was clutching what I think was a lapwing chick- marsh harrier chicks have to eat too.

All in all a great few hours in the sun doing one of the things I love best, what a way to spend fathers' day.

Woody

Attachments

• lilowlinbox.jpg
    lilowlinbox.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 136
  • snipe2.jpg
    snipe2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 131
  • snipe1.jpg
    snipe1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 133
  • snipead.jpg
    snipead.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 147
  • lilowlonpost.jpg
    lilowlonpost.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 145
And the others:

Attachments

• blakwits.jpg
    blakwits.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 158
  • sleepyshank.jpg
    sleepyshank.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 148
  • marshflyaway.jpg
    marshflyaway.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 137
There are some truly stunning drawings here Woody - the snipe series is particularly successful, with the middle drawing on the center two sheets being absolutely top class (the portrait is georgeous, too). Of the others I love the harrier (obviously!) - excellent group!

Great display of field work in this thread!

Anybody up for a couple of finished paintings? They're in the gallery too...

Attachments

• song sparrow2.jpg
    song sparrow2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 165
  • gadwall2.jpg
    gadwall2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 150
One of the little muggers

The poor Blackbirds dont stand a chance when these get together.

Peter I wish I could paint water like you.

Attachments

• Spar.jpg
    Spar.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 167
Tim, the terns are my favorite too.
Woody, you have made a snipe look majestic with that portrait---all the other sketches are really lovely too.
Peter, I love the light in both of these pieces.
Arthur, for some reason I really like the sparrow with his back turned towards us.

I swear to all of you I will get some mediocre sketches posted soon...I am kind of floundering in packing materials right now.
Everytime I visit this thread I get antsy and itchy for some serious sketch/art time for myself.

Best to all
Elizabeth

Have just commented in the Gallery that the reflected light from the water on the ducks is a stroke of a master, and the sparrow is a beautiful painting full of character - great work Peter. Arthur, you're constantly surpassing yourself - another brilliant page of sketches (and I know what Elizabeth means - it's the fact that we all see birds in this pose, but few are brave or talented enough to draw them inthis way - wonderful).
Hi Elizabeth - concentrate on getting the move completed, there'll be time enough fo art once you're relocated. (Won't let you off the hook so easily once you are, mind you! ;) )
Hey VB - how was the South America trip (get any drawing done or was it just too amazing to just look?) Glad to hear you're back - post a report (if you haven't already).

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments regarding the two paintings.

Arthur you really captured the personality of your sparrow and seem to have it in every sketch on the page. I really like that page:)

Thankyou all.

I hadn't finished this last night, a follow up coloured pencil sketch to the little muggers second love a dust bath.

Attachments

• Spar1.jpg
    Spar1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 159
Hey VB - how was the South America trip (get any drawing done or was it just too amazing to just look?) Glad to hear you're back - post a report (if you haven't already).

Absolutely fantastic, thanks Tim. There's a report posted under Vacational Trip Reports. I didn't manage to do anything as regards drawing, I was too busy looking!

Arthur, you have really captured these guys! Tim put it better than I about the sparrow position from your first sketch...so, what he said applies, I think also to this piece.

More Mallards

I've been painting mallards for a competition so here is a second piece -still in progress - of some more mallards. (The first was finished and posted in the gallery already, but I am getting an itch to make a couple of slight changes to it.)

Attachments

• mallard group1.jpg
    mallard group1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 153
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back