• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor - id please (1 Viewer)

kim

ID please, taken just after dawn over high moorland N Wales. Sorry about the quality - had to use very high iso. Not edited - just cropped

Attachments

• id-please.jpg
    id-please.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Becaue I was with 2 very extremely experienced birders, one a professional, not photographers, they told me it was either or ...I don't want to confuse matters so I left it open, but I cannot get the large version uploaded - just this thumbnail!

I had no opinion, the light was poor - I am poor on raptors, I am just going on my two "experts" Lol! IU have attached another. sorry for poor quality

Attachments

• raptor2.jpg
    raptor2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 236
I'm guessing they told you it was a Rough Legged Buzzard? I'm only 15 so take whatever I say with a pinch of salt. Although appears pale (atleast on my screen), the 'upper wing converts' on RLB are considerably paler than those on Common Buzzards (look at me...getting all precise!:eek!:) The second photo shows quite dark 'upper wing coverts', it is likely to be a Common Buzzard.

Carl

Last edited:
Fair enough and thank you, I shall get back to the experts with your opinion. A Goshawk had been seen 15 minutes earlier and a Harrier.when this flew over I just took pics without a look.incidentally it was in Black Grouse country which I can identify!!!I did send the first pic to one of the "experts" and he thought it was the hawk!!!!

Last edited:
Fair enough and thank you, I shall get back to the experts with your opinion. A Goshawk had been seen 15 minutes earlier and a Harrier.when this flew over I just took pics without a look.incidentally it was in Black Grouse country which I can identify!!!I did send the first pic to one of the "experts" and he thought it was the hawk!!!!

without sounding too flippant, id say your expert isnt an expert either! lol ;-P

I had no opinion, the light was poor - I am poor on raptors, I am just going on my two "experts" Lol! IU have attached another. sorry for poor quality

One of the best ways to identify your flying raptors from underneath is the wing pattern. This one screams Buzzard and is definitely NOT a Goshawk.

Even though the second picture is fuzzy, its still very good for catching it on the fly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back