• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarobright and non swarobright-what are the differences? (1 Viewer)

Hati

Hello, I am very curious what are the differences between swarobright and non swarobright optics. Is this difference visible in brightness only, or also in the clearness, clarity, sharpness and resolution?
I have recently found on international site two slc 7x42b one swarobright from 2002 (written on the box) and one non swarobright from 2001 with box with no swarobright written on it and I am interested in understanding what will be the difference in image between the two bins and if the price difference worth it.

Last edited:
Swarobright is the name Swarovski gives for the coatings on their roof prism binoculars. I believe they started using that name around 1999 but I could be wrong. The coatings on the prisms of their current series of binoculars are di-electric which are bright. I don't know what type of coatings they used back in 2001 and 2001.

Many binoculars were using silver coated prisms or the less bright aluminized coated prisms before the introduction of di-electric prisms. The differences in brightness between these coatings are readily visible.

You should look through any older binocular before you purchase it because many of them will show a yellow color caste to the view.

Here is a link discussing the abbreviations and the coatings on Swarovski binoculars.

http://www.opticsreviewer.com/swarovski-binoculars.html

Bob

Last edited:
Hati, post 1,
Swarobright coatings yielded a slightly higher light transmission and a better color reproduction. Altogether it resulted in a slightly brighter image as the binoculars without Swarobright coatings.
Gijs van Ginkel

This from 2001 has purple coatings, and there is no swarobright written on the box, does this mean that it will be with yellow cast and dimmer image?

This from 2001 has purple coatings, and there is no swarobright written on the box, does this mean that it will be with yellow cast and dimmer image?

I couldn't tell you that.

Remember that the 2001 SLC is 16 years old and lots of factors involving its use could have an effect on its brightness. It might need a professional cleaning by Swarovski in order to bring it back to par; the nature of its coatings not withstanding.

I wouldn't put too much stock on what was not written on the box about its coatings. More important is the instruction manual that comes with the SLCs which has information about Swarovski's coatings like Swarobright and Swarotop. You can find the date the manual was printed at the bottom of the page showing the technical data for it. For instance the one that came with my 2006 SLC 7x42 B was printed in 02/2006.

Bob

Last edited:
Hati, post 1,
On the WEBsite of House of Outdoor I published an overview of the
'History and quality development of Swarovski Optik" and I have included an example of the effect of Swarobright coatings on light transmission/brightness in 8x30 SLC binoculars of different production years and without and with Swarobright coatings. The powerpoint is up-to-date to this year, so it includes the BTX binocular eyepiece for the modular ATX telescopes.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

Great article! :t::t:

I have an undated slide set entitled: "1935‐2011 From optical workshop to outstanding optical company." If there is an updated one in English would you mind posting the link or attaching the PDF file?

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Hati, post 1,
'History and quality development of Swarovski Optik" and I have included an example of the effect of Swarobright coatings on light transmission/brightness in 8x30 SLC binoculars of different production years and without and with Swarobright coatings. The powerpoint is up-to-date to this year, so it includes the BTX binocular eyepiece for the modular ATX telescopes.
Gijs van Ginkel

Please post a url

Hati, post 1,
Gijs van Ginkel

Ah, Gijs and Ed both together, Great.

I defer to my stroke concerning my forgetting of names of people I have known for a long time and it happens, again.

What was the last name of Zeiss' Walter _________. I believe he was either an engineer or a very colorful repair manager who retired about 15 years ago. I was working on my memoir and realized I could remember his name. But then, there was a time, today, when I couldn't remember my next door neighbor's name. He was my old ... bishop!

Like Mark Twain, it seems I am heading for that glorious time when the only things I will remember are
those that DIDN'T happen. From the standpoint of understanding mortal discrepancy, it is fascinating. From the standpoint of being the victim ... not so much. :cat:

Bill ... I think

Please answer by email.

Last edited:
Ed, post 8 and BruceH, post10,
That is the correct powerpoint in post 10, it is updated this week and goes now from 1935-2017
Gijs van Ginkel

Very nice reference article. (Of course, there are one or two small points ... and you might wish to update the file name ...) ;)

Good job! :t:

Ed

Bill, post 12,
Are you referring to Walter Besenmatter from Zeiss?

Ed, post 13, Do you have suggestios for another title? The charming lady who governs the WEB-site is very busy and I do not want to increase her workload?

Gijs van Ginkel

Bill, post 12,

Ed, post 13, Do you have suggestios for another title? The charming lady who governs the WEB-site is very busy and I do not want to increase her workload?

Gijs van Ginkel

Mmmmm Gijs, it seems that a little box of chocolates does miracles on prioritieso:)

Jan

Bill, post 12,

Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

I was just being cute. The file name on the newest .pdf is "1935-2011 Swarovski Optik, Austria." So I changed my copy to read "1935-2017 Swarovski Optik, Austria."

Sorry to be a nudnik. ;)
Ed

Ed, post 16,
The first slide gives the proper content up to 2017 and, since the lecture was in 2011, it shows my crystal bol capabilities...in 2011.

Jan, post 17,
You do not like choclate, so I will bring you a herring with onions.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back