• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Pelican at Paphos, Cyprus (3 Viewers)

Another vote for Grey Heron - and another vote for BobTag being BirdForum's Rudest Man.

It certainly isn't obvious that it's a heron, and although you, BobTag, may have observed them often in this way in the field, it gives you no right - however much knowledge you have - to be so foul-mouthed to other members.

Oh well, I wasn't going to reply again, but seeing as it keeps getting bumped up the list and I will.

Firstly, Paul has a fair point, and I apologise for swearing. Shouldn't have, I'll blame the drink, so sorry.

Now with a clear head, let me retort, even if I am a "lonely moron", thanks Jason :t:

In my first post I simply stated my belief that the bird is an obvious Grey Heron, and I still stand by that belief. In the next post Scary-Canary disagreed with my view that it was "obvious" and strongly put his case forward, which I interpret was based on three key points:

1) - I must have superhuman powers
2) - The bird has a long neck, making to look like a Crane
3) - The original poster (Alan) wondered if it was a Pelican, and therefore it couldn't have been a obvious Grey Heron.

Hopefully no-one can argue against the interpretation of these points.

I "strongly" rebutted these arguments, which I'll clarify below as some have been predictably mis-interpreted:

1) - Of course I don't have superhuman powers. I do, though, have a lot of field experience of Grey Herons as a common british bird where I live, and have often seen them looking like this.

2) - Yes, the bird has a long neck, but then Grey Heron has a long neck. The presence of a long neck does not point towards Crane as it's a fact that Grey Herons have long necks.

3) The last point is subjective, depending on the observer. I was not having a go at Alan as some suggest, but the situation is variable on the original observer. If, for example, Killian Mullarney, David Sibley or the late Peter Grant had seen a bird and thought it "interesting", it would have different implications than, for example, if I had seen an "interesting" bird. My challange was to Scary-canary to asses what he saw, rather than what Alan posted. Surely that's what Alan wanted us to do when he posted?

Do I stand by these points? Yes. Is it utterly predicatable that some people in these forums would have mis-interpreted these arguments and flown off the deep end? Yes. Could I have been less agressive when I first posted in response to Scary's challange? Yes. Is it the rudest thing I've read in these forums? Not by a long way...

BT

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back