• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nyjer seed killing my lawn (1 Viewer)

Once you see sprout, just spray the area with white vinegar. Just keep some white vinegar in a spray bottle. White vinegar is a safe non-toxic weed killer (amoung other uses). I use it to kill weeds around my yard with great success. I have young children and don't want to use chemicals.

Regaards the niger seed.

I have been using it for more than 3 years and never had any problems.
I do have a dish fastened at the bottom of the feeder which catches most of it but I think I would be checking a different supplier out.

Brian

I had trouble with Squirrells too, cured the problem with a well aimed bucket full of cold water when they appeared, that taught the beggars a lesson, ain't seen 'em since.

Nyger Nightmare

I did not know that Nyger shouldn't sprout - thanks for the tip, I'll make sure we look out for that next time. Does anyone know a brand name for non-sprouting seed?

We have our feeders positioned over paving stones of the patio and the seedlings only sprout in the gap, but they don't affect the grass.

I will also try the white vinegar!

Thanks all.

:t:

I know this is an old thread but I have a good solution if anybody is interested.

My stepfather lives in the countryside and feeds a lot of nyjer and sunflower hearts and has an amazing amount of Goldfinches visiting non stop. He also lives in an area with a high grey squirrel population.
What he did was build a covered bird table with a large base (2ft square), the entire outside is covered with metal chicken wire mesh(stops pigeons doves etc). and sits atop a narrow fence post. He hangs two feeders inside the centre of the table, which keeps them dry too. The feeders have trays. All of the dropped seed ends up on the bird table and trays and not the lawn. He is very fussy about the lawn, its like a golf green! Placed well away from any trees and such from which squirrels can jump - they cant get in. He has it a few feet from his front room window - it is an amazing sight.
He built me a table and I have just one sunflower heart feeder hanging in, I live in an urban location I didnt even know Goldfinches existed where I live. I can tell you they do. I have at least two visiting pairs, I guess I can soon expect more.

Last edited:
What an informative thread to read through.....

Having just bought nyjer and feeder, I was thinking of swapping it for what I thought was a less useful nut feeder. In the past week or two though, we've had a GSW visit more and more often so looks like I'll have to find some other place for the Nyjer feeder.

After reading the whole thread, I think I'll risk hanging the N over grass, will have to keep you updated on what happens..............

Seed & Hull Digester

Keeping the area clean under birdfeeders is crucial. Grounds beneath feeders are highly contaminated from bird droppings, organic contaminants, parasites and E. coli bacteria from molded birdseed. Using an organic seed & hull digester underneath birdfeeders such as one made by Care Free Enzymes digests birdseed, hulls and other organic materials quickly down into basic components that are easily absorbed into the environment.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back