• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (3 Viewers)

Neil

Following Bob who must have got the first SX60 in Hong Kong I picked mine up yesterday ( I might have got a better price but I didn't get the socks and tripod).
I took it out to the wetlands and Hong Kong Park today and shot about 100 gigs of stills and video.
The camera layout takes a bit of getting used to but the camera feels good in the hand. I was mainly interested in the video which is a big improvement from the SX40 and has 60p HD which the SX50 doesn't have.
The wider angle lens is a nice feature and I used it a few times today. Weather was a bit hazy today.
Here are a few stills.
I'll post some videos up shortly.
Neil

Hong Kong,
China.
September 2014

Attachments

• bc night heron HKPK sx60hs 197mm  IMG_0369.jpg
    bc night heron HKPK sx60hs 197mm IMG_0369.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2,108
  • chinese junk harbour HK sx60hs IMG_0595.jpg
    chinese junk harbour HK sx60hs IMG_0595.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 1,674
  • dragonfly 200 mm HKPK sx60hs IMG_0340.jpg
    dragonfly 200 mm HKPK sx60hs IMG_0340.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 1,716
  • waterlily insect MP sx60hs IMG_0100.jpg
    waterlily insect MP sx60hs IMG_0100.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 1,307
  • waterlily pond MP sx60hs IMG_0083.jpg
    waterlily pond MP sx60hs IMG_0083.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 1,331
Neil,

It's worth mentioning your experience with the supplied software or the lack of it.

I am still having problems with the Image Stabilising, so far I am preferring the SX50 stabilisation. One of my favourite settings on the SX50 was the high speed burst mode but I can't seem to find it on the SX60.

Bob

PS: Neil, you forgot to mention the selfie pole, 32gb HS SD card, camera bag

Last edited:
Neil,

It's worth mentioning your experience with the supplied software or the lack of it.

I am still having problems with the Image Stabilising, so far I am preferring the SX50 stabilisation. One of my favourite settings on the SX50 was the high speed burst mode but I can't seem to find it on the SX60.

Bob

PS: Neil, you forgot to mention the selfie pole, 32gb HS SD card, camera bag

Bob, I think someone mentions on the SX60 thread that there is no Hi speed burst mode on the SX60, although apparently the standard FPS has been improved.

I've downloaded the Canon Software from their site. You have to enter the Serial Number to complete the download. DPP handles the SX60 Raw ok.
I've put some of the videos from the wetlands today up on Vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/106919872
This shows the zoom range from 1365 - 21 mm on a small group of roosting Greenshanks at about 60 metres.
I shot some video hand held at the harbour this afternoon. I'll process some clips tonight. The video at the wetlands I shot a tripod. I've strung some clips together as a timelapse taken from 60 - 500 metres.
https://vimeo.com/106918244
Neil.

Great pics you're getting with the new camera Neil. I'm glad to see there is still what we used to call the 'tourist junk' pottering around the harbour. :)

Neil . . that insect on the flower video clip looks very clean indeed. 60p will do wonders for me. Canon are going to sell bucket loads of these SX60's, it's destined to be a great video camera regardless of the stills.

The zoom range in those videos is extraordinary. Very nice to see Collared Crows too... a real HK speciality!

Nice work Neil, really excited about receiving mine - ordered it from Hong Kong on the 19th and it was delivered on the 22nd! Unfortunately I was out so it'll be here tomorrow.

Paid £359 local guarantee too. Can't wait to fire it up :)

Nice work Neil, really excited about receiving mine - ordered it from Hong Kong on the 19th and it was delivered on the 22nd! Unfortunately I was out so it'll be here tomorrow.

Paid £359 local guarantee too. Can't wait to fire it up :)

Where did you order from?

Great pics you're getting with the new camera Neil. I'm glad to see there is still what we used to call the 'tourist junk' pottering around the harbour. :)

Thanks Tim. Yes, and they've even put up a giant Ferris Wheel ( Big Eye) at the Star Ferry Pier.
Neil.

I shot this video handheld at the harbour yesterday. Bob thinks the IS is not as good as the SX50. I wonder if it has to do with more megapixels. These clips are straight out of the camera. I'll process in FCP X later and put it up.
The Data Rate shows as 31 mb/sec
https://vimeo.com/106990805
Neil.

Bob thinks the IS is not as good as the SX50.
Neil.

i've been video shooting the SX50 on tripods since day 1 . . . looking at your clips so far Neil, the new one is killing it. On a good fluid tripod, try turning the IS off. That harbour footage looks sharp. I'll have mine soon & will do a direct head to head with the SX50 . . although i know already which one will win hands down.

This is a video shot with the SX60 in the wetlands yesterday, made up from clips shot from 60 -500 metres. I've adjusted half of each clip in FCP X ( except the last one ) so you can see how processing can help. Especially when you don't have a variable ND filter to control exposure.
https://vimeo.com/107001342
Neil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back