• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

confirmation of pipit ID please (1 Viewer)

john-henry

While at Pego Marsh, Valencia, enjoying a stay at Oliva Rama Guesthouse, I came across this pipit, I'm pretty sure I know what it is but would like confirmation, therefor I haven't named it.

many thanks

John

Attachments

• pipit-1.jpg
    pipit-1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 223
  • pipit-2.jpg
    pipit-2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 270
  • pipit-3.jpg
    pipit-3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 224
  • pipit-4.jpg
    pipit-4.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 289
The rump appears to be well streaked. Can you confirm John ?

If yes, the (small) primary projection may be an other interesting character ;)
Did it call ?

Mmm, nice yellowy base to the bill, and a slight wash on the throat...

... if it's what I think it is, presumably it's a damn good record for Spain?

Th_SQ said:
The rump appears to be well streaked. Can you confirm John ?

If yes, the (small) primary projection may be an other interesting character ;)
Did it call ?

Yes the rump was very well streaked and unfortunatel it didn't fly or call.

Thanks for your input.
John

saw hundreds(!) of them recently at one single site! sorry for opening my big mouth, i'm just still baffled by those huge numbers.

Well now that you've all done your hedging and knowing prevarication, anyone care to put me out of my misery and actually identify the damn' thing?

;) ;) ;)

I imagine we're thinking RT, but on my monitor I can't see the slight wash on the throat or the yellowy base to the bill.

Hmmph, spoilsport! ;)

Well, unless I've spectacularly got the wrong end of the stick, we are talking about Red-throated... at least - that's what I was talking about!

The best photo from my point of view is the fourth one - that's where I was getting the features quoted from.

Do you want someone to stick their neck out?

Red-throated pipit.

Heavily streaked breast, with the black forming solid lines, yellow base to lower mandible, and apparently streaked rump (the latter being the clincher).

Primary projection is a result of feather positioning I think, as only Pechora would show that feature normally, and that species has a dark loral smudge in front of the eye and an unstreaked rump. I also believe Pechora is virtually or completely unrecorded in Europe in spring, whereas Red-throated is regular.

The slight orange on the throat in the fourth picture is an indicator, but doesn't really help for me on the identification of this one.

Surprised it didn't call at all - hardly remember any Meadow or Red throated pipit I've ever seen that didn't, especially when taking flight.

GV

Ghostly Vision said:
Do you want someone to stick their neck out?

Red-throated pipit.

Heavily streaked breast, with the black forming solid lines, yellow base to lower mandible, and apparently streaked rump (the latter being the clincher).

Primary projection is a result of feather positioning I think, as only Pechora would show that feature normally, and that species has a dark loral smudge in front of the eye and an unstreaked rump. I also believe Pechora is virtually or completely unrecorded in Europe in spring, whereas Red-throated is regular.

The slight orange on the throat in the fourth picture is an indicator, but doesn't really help for me on the identification of this one.

Surprised it didn't call at all - hardly remember any Meadow or Red throated pipit I've ever seen that didn't, especially when taking flight.

GV
A nice ending to this beating about the bush! As for Pechora, there are a few odd spring records, but their number is negligible.

Unfortunately John's sticking the knife in, as I dipped this bird on my local patch, being away at the time.

I wouldn't mind so much but I drew him a map of the area indicating this section as "worthy of a good look"

Unlike the Murphy's I´m not bitter B :)

Sean, I don't think the bird flew at all while he was watching & photographing it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back