• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 1 J5 (1 Viewer)

Neil-T

Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bug
Hi all, a bit of help required please. I have just bought a new J5 so that I can take record shots of birds at distance with my New 200-500 Nikon lens and my Nikon 600mm f/4 VRl. I already have the FT1 adapter but when I put either of the above 2 lenses on the camera a message is displayed saying the lens is not supported. I phoned WEX and they said try a firmware update for the camera. Questions. Will this work. And I cant seem to find a firmware update specifically for the J5. It will AF with my 70-200mm VRll and a old Nikon 24-85mm lens I have lying around. I assumed that the camera would work with any newish Nikon AF-S lens. frustrated. please help. Neil.

PS: a link to relevant firmware would be greatly appreciated.

I think you may be unlucky Nikon stopped one of the latest 1 series cameras from working with some of there long lenses,the excuse was strain on the camera mount,there is a nikon page that explains it but i cant find it at the moment,it may not be your model but they did do it with at least one.

I think you may be unlucky Nikon stopped one of the latest 1 series cameras from working with some of there long lenses,the excuse was strain on the camera mount,there is a nikon page that explains it but i cant find it at the moment,it may not be your model but they did do it with at least one.

Nikon's explanation makes some sense, if you consider heavy set-ups like mine based on the Sigma APO macro 400mm. "Fortunately" I have to focus manually anyway, using the Tarion loupe, so a tripod is a must and the weak mount construction not an issue. (see photo)

This limitation of the J5 means that the 200-500 lens cannot be used with the FT1. It remains an option (obviously not a very attractive one) to use another, dumb adapter with manual focusing.

Attachments

• Setup.jpg
    Setup.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 183
Nikon's explanation makes some sense, if you consider heavy set-ups like mine based on the Sigma APO macro 400mm. "Fortunately" I have to focus manually anyway, using the Tarion loupe, so a tripod is a must and the weak mount construction not an issue. (see photo)

This limitation of the J5 means that the 200-500 lens cannot be used with the FT1. It remains an option (obviously not a very attractive one) to use another, dumb adapter with manual focusing.

According to the above link from Mike the 200-500 is OK to use with the J5 and FT1 adapter. I always use a quality tripod and gimbal head so there is no stress between the camera ans lens.

According to the above link from Mike the 200-500 is OK to use with the J5 and FT1 adapter. I always use a quality tripod and gimbal head so there is no stress between the camera ans lens.

Really? The link seems to say:

The following NIKKOR lenses cannot be used with Nikon 1 J5
AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Sorry if this is a bit late, but, the J5 WILL work with the 200-500/5.6 and 600/4, IF you use a dumb adaptor. Set camera (J5) to M (manual exposure on the top dial of camera), you will have to manual focus the lens, your aperture will be f4 or f5.6 pending on lens, and is not adjustable. The exposure (shutter speed) can be adjusted by using the dial on top of the camera, adjust speed until the exposure shown on the exposure scale (RHS of the LCD ) matches the zero.

Sorry if this is a bit late, but, the J5 WILL work with the 200-500/5.6 and 600/4, IF you use a dumb adaptor. Set camera (J5) to M (manual exposure on the top dial of camera), you will have to manual focus the lens, your aperture will be f4 or f5.6 pending on lens, and is not adjustable. The exposure (shutter speed) can be adjusted by using the dial on top of the camera, adjust speed until the exposure shown on the exposure scale (RHS of the LCD ) matches the zero.

Thanks for confirming what I had said a few posts above:

This is great news, thanks. Can you tell what type of adapter I would require, manual focus is not an issue. Thanks again. Neil.

Hi Neil-T, good advice from the other posters, that have given you some pointers to Dumb adapters, but for the record the one I use is the K and F Concept version, (Amazon), strong and well made. Good luck with your choice.
If your 600/4 VR1 has a manual adjustable aperture ring you can also use it. The G versions of the lenses are normally in the stopped down mode, so the adapter would need to be chipped, as trying to focus at F16 might be a little difficult. I am using the 600/4E FL ED VR, which is normally open at the max. aperture. Don't worry too much about the J5 mount as any one with a brain, should be hanging the camera off the lens, and NOT hanging the lens off the camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back