• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This one is from Sumba (1 Viewer)

mehdhalaouate

Hi ,
Any suggestions?
Not the best of pics I'm afraid but I hope with the discutions we'll end up somewhere.

Regards,
Mehd

Attachments

• Bird 2.jpg
    Bird 2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 136
  • Bird 1.jpg
    Bird 1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 129
Mehd,
Tough angle on the first one, gut reaction is a Phyllosc. Will try and tease it out later with more time. The second, and as much as I stink generally on waders does look a Sanderling.

Here goes: I have three candidates; borealis may winter there; coronatus may winter there; and trivirgatus trivirgatus shoud be resident. I will eliminate trivirgatus for the following reasons, of just about all Phylloscopus species trivirgatus has the smallest spiky-like short little bill of the genus - this one has too much bill. Moreover, I just can't see the amount of black on the head that I should see. The differentiation of the other two is more difficult. First, the photo itself has a flash-point right on the lower belly. This seems to wash-out any color existing near the vent, and throws the upper belly and breast colors into shadow. Another problem is that there is a twig intervening in the view of the caudad extent of the supercilium. The supercilium itself would appear to have a yellowish tinge, and not whitish or buff. I think I can possibly make out that there should be some yellow at the vent in spite of the flash point. Therefore, my guess is that this may be Phylloscopus coronatus.

can sort of see the case for Mountain Leaf Steve but i'm going for Arctic due to legs and whiteness below, supercilium, and bill with paler lowqer mandible

can't help thinking MLW must show more yello even in heavy flash?

cuckooroller said:
Here goes: I have three candidates; borealis may winter there; coronatus may winter there; and trivirgatus trivirgatus shoud be resident. I will eliminate trivirgatus for the following reasons, of just about all Phylloscopus species trivirgatus has the smallest spiky-like short little bill of the genus - this one has too much bill. Moreover, I just can't see the amount of black on the head that I should see. The differentiation of the other two is more difficult. First, the photo itself has a flash-point right on the lower belly. This seems to wash-out any color existing near the vent, and throws the upper belly and breast colors into shadow. Another problem is that there is a twig intervening in the view of the caudad extent of the supercilium. The supercilium itself would appear to have a yellowish tinge, and not whitish or buff. I think I can possibly make out that there should be some yellow at the vent in spite of the flash point. Therefore, my guess is that this may be Phylloscopus coronatus.

Steve,

I would agree with your evaluation that it is either borealis or coronatus, difficult to evaluate the colour of the undertail coverts accurately thanks to the flash but there does appear to be a hint of yellow. The supercilium does seem to have a yellow tinge so coronatus would be my favourite.

Rob

Tim Allwood said:
can sort of see the case for Mountain Leaf Steve but i'm going for Arctic due to legs and whiteness below, supercilium, and bill with paler lowqer mandible

can't help thinking MLW must show more yello even in heavy flash?

I think Mountain Leaf Warbler is restricted to Lombok within Wallacea?

Rob Hutchinson said:
I think Mountain Leaf Warbler is restricted to Lombok within Wallacea?

how do you remember that Rob?... impressive..

was sitting in the dark nursing a hangover but checked in Wallacea and yer right... also on Sumbawa too...

can't see much of that yellow but i'll defer to you two on this one :t:

tim

Tim Allwood said:
how do you remember that Rob?... impressive..

was sitting in the dark nursing a hangover but checked in Wallacea and yer right... also on Sumbawa too...

can't see much of that yellow but i'll defer to you two on this one :t:

tim

Couldn't honestly say that the hint of yellow on the undertail isn't an effect of the flash but the super does seem to have a yellow tinge, difficult to call from this shot...

Good luck with that hangover.... B :)

Rob, Tim,
You may be right on the ranging (or not in this case, of trivirgatus). I need better books for range extensions. I have it as far east in the Sundas as Sumbawa (pretty close to Sumba), and also in nw Borneo. I sometimes extrapolate ranges from my sources as they do not list every little island and here I probably figured that if it could get from the Sundas to nw Borneo, then it could probably also get to Sumba from Sumbawa. Probably wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back