• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (2 Viewers)

Hi steve,
Hope you have a great time tommorrow at New Brighton.
Its one of my birding dreams to be in on a large passage of Leach's
I remember driving from Norfolk to New Brighton overnight once due to strong westerlies when there was loads of Leach's passing offshore.
Woke up in the morning to find the wind had shifted overnight to a strong easterlie HA HA HA,as a result saw none.
Never mind i hope the winds stay strong enough till the weekend at least as i'm of to Barra for two weeks, Leach's must fall there, I hope!
Good luck tommorow.

Jane Turner said:
The house was on the market... its twice the size of this and very grand.. 6 beds I think.. they wanted £600K...

There is a possibility they may build houses on my patch. I could be very tempted but I doubt they would have a view over the sea wall unfortunately.

Stephen.

LUNDY FASTNET IRISH SEA SHANNON
NORTHWEST BACKING SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8 AT FIRST IN
IRISH SEA. SHOWERS. GOOD

Blowing harder than yesterday here... WNW - the best direction for Wirral

Plenty offshore this morning... looks like a three figure day. As yesterday I'd expect best numbers of the weaker flying species (Leach's LTS and Sabs) at New Brighton, while I'll get the stronger birds.. Gannets Manxies and Kittiwakes battling their way out of the bay at Hoylake.

I of course will get the Albatross one day

I couldnt make it out yesterday but I will be out on the west coast of the Isle of man after work today.

I got my first Leach's there last monday after only 30 minutes so now I am hoping this wind will get me my first Long-tailed Skua. :)

edit.. In fact this wind is so strong here I am going to attempt to ask my boss for the afternoon off!! hahaha.. wish me luck :)

Last edited:
I`m marooned in the office again today...(ho-hum!) but shall be out tomorrow afternoon!! Hooray - lets hope theres still a few around then!

Met forecast today is West 5-7 occasionally 8, tomorrow west - south west 5-7 so does that mean i`ll be best off on the north side of the estuary tomorrow rather than at New Brighton?

Also for the locals - where are these buoy 20/21`s thats mentioned as being where the Long-tailed Skua is loafing around?

Jason They are in the mouth of the Mersey - seen from Crosby or New Brighton.... one is red and one is Green.

Its brill here today - had about 500 Kittiwakes, Leach's from the kitchen!!!! (which is at the back of the house) and three Sabines Gulls.

Looking good all the way through to the weekend

Latest Forecast...

IRISH SEA
WEST OR NORTHWEST BACKING SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8 AT
FIRST. RAIN OR SHOWERS. MODERATE OR GOOD

If it does go really SW - I'd go to Crosby

Photographing them

I have just got in from being at New Brighton and leasowe since 09:30 this morning - what a brilliant day! I have over 400 photos, mainly of Leach's to sort through, I had them hovering above my head almost within reach, they were everywhere, best day I have had for ages. I have attached one of my pics, there will be many more added to my website as soon as I have sorted through them.

Steve

http://www.stevenround-birdphotography.com

Attachments

• leach's.jpg
    leach's.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 455
Steve

Congrats on a superb photo.

I'm hoping they will still be around at the weekend. I am going to have to try and get up that way as I have never seen one in England.

What a disappointing day.

My train was a good 7 minutes late arriving at Lime St, then it took us at least 8 seconds to see a Leach's (lifer) at New Brighton. Some were so far away we had to use binoculars, instead of the one which flew over our heads, and the one which landed in a pool in front of us. There were only ever about 10-50 on the Mersey estuary at any one time. Then to cap off the misery a Sabine's Gull (another lifer) flew past while I was eating my sandwiches, which thoroughly ruined my lunch. The day was also generally spoilt by all the Gannets, Terns and Manx Shearwaters which kept getting in the way of everything else.

That's the last time, I tell ya!

Thanks again Jane and others for the info, spot on as you all said. ;) :clap:
Steve J

Steve,

Glad you enjoyed the spectacle!

I have been sat at work watching the reports roll in thinking about how you were getting on and toying with an early finish but resisted (my boss knows a good seawatch weather patter too well by now!).

As someone who ticked off Leach's Petrel at Red Rocks in 1978 and was at Seaforth in early 80s on one of the first good Storm Petrel days I'm quite jealous of all this. Almost wish I was there! It's made all nostalgic for the old days.

Just have to do with a Booted Warbler 50m from the house and a couple of Rosefinches I suppose, but I can't get to Whalsay for the Brown Shrike, not enough time between end of school and dusk.

Well I am back from 6 hrs. This is what we saw.

2 Juv Sabine gull
18 Leach's Petrel
1 Great Skua
50 Manx Shearwater
15 Red-throated Diver
9 Pale-bellied Brent Geese
3 Arctic Tern
1 Common Dolphin
tons of Kittiwakes, Auks, Gannets & Sandwich Tern too.

Absolutely brilliant apart from I have got a seized up back now :))

Mike Pennington said:
As someone who ticked off Leach's Petrel at Red Rocks in 1978 and was at Seaforth in early 80s on one of the first good Storm Petrel days I'm quite jealous of all this. Almost wish I was there! It's made all nostalgic for the old days.

Just have to do with a Booted Warbler 50m from the house and a couple of Rosefinches I suppose, but I can't get to Whalsay for the Brown Shrike, not enough time between end of school and dusk.

I'm also feeling a bit out of it here - the only good bird I've seen today is Pallid Harrier... Still there were around 200 Leaches off the Danish west coast today and the weather is looking promising for here later in the week. Here's hoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back