• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bempton Cliffs Trip (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I am going to Bempton Cliffs (1st time) & was wondering what Its like for photography & Is there anywhere thats best for taking pics with a Canon 100-400. Ive seen some pics & checked out the RSPB website but some first hand advice would be greatly received..

Thanks.
Sean.

For the Gannets head down the path and then turn right, its a good couple of hundred yards walk but well worth it for both flight shots and of course the general behaviour ones.

For all the rest just turn left when you get down the path and choose your best view at one of the areas they have along.

Hi Sean

I was there last weekend and although I'd been to the viewing point to the right (Staple Newk), I had them no more than 3 foot in front of me on a walk out from the Grandstand viewing point to the far left as they came in to collect fresh grass from a ledge. I guess I could just have been lucky at that time of day but they will certainly give you good views as they catch the thermals above you.

You'll have a great time - enjoy.

Di

bempton cliffs

Sean

I think you'll be surprised when you get there. The birds (Kittiwake, auks, Fulmar, etc.) are usually so close a 4 yr old could take pictures with a brownie.

Having said that I haven't been for a couple of years and am looking forward to getting there between 5th-15th June when I'm over in the UK.

All the best and do let us know how you get on.

if you need puffin try north landing 4 miles south just park right at the end and walk straight out from the cafe bar much closer and better veiws

Hi Sean
How did you get on at Bempton ?
I'm going for the first time on Friday so would appreciate any tips
Regards

hi, it was simply fantastic, i got some cracking shots of the Gannets, Puffins, Guillemots, Kittiwakes & Fulmar. Im not sure but Di stone said about some place where the Gannets fly close, I think I found the very spot & they were very close, they were nesting on the other side of the cliffs & flew past me & john all the time. I ended up taking 756 pictures of the Gannets alone. The weather was on my side (very hot & clear). Well worth a visit & I will be going again, very soon. I would also recommend on going left for the best flight shots as the Gannets on the right seem to sit on the rocks. Overall a very, very good place to go. There was also Kestrels hovering above the cliffs, but out of my reach with the 100-400. Theres Whitethroats, flycatchers, Skylarks & the usual Goldfinches, sparrows, bluetits, gt-tits etc, so Its not only seabirds you will see. A nice visitor centre & burger van (gotta be a burger van), I had to feel sorry for this guy at the side of me, he had arrived from Nottingham (I think It was) & when he started to take pics he found out that the only battery he had was flat (thats gotta hurt). Me on the other hand had 3fully charged batteries, so I was set which turned out to be one of my best days of bird photography..

Regards.
Sean..

Looking forward to seeing the photos Sean.

Barry, as you walk down the path from the visitors centre, turn right at the bottom and keep going. The spot I found really good was marked up as Staple Newk. As you face out, the Gannets are nesting on the rocks directly below you. Fulmar and Puffins also around the same area.

Good luck

Di

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back