• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (4 Viewers)

On the "if you've done it, post it" theory here's an LSW I watched but to my shame did not sketch at the weekend, drawn on the train and splooshed when I got home.

Attachments

• lsw copy.jpg
    lsw copy.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 89
I really admire this ability you have to recall sights and scenes well after they've been experienced, and get them down on paper with as much accuracy as you do. That's a very nice, if small, pecker you've got there. (Ooo Er missus!)

Mike

LSW do have it a bit tough these days what with one thing and another. The last one I saw in UK prior to this was rather sensationally nipping into a freshly excavated hole right outside where I lived in Blackheath- but when I returned from work in the evening, the Council had pitched up and sawn the dead branch off.

This current lot are safe from any bureaucratic tree loppers but not very well hidden, so the GSWs may already have had the young on toast.

I'm off for my annual burst of proper birding this weekend and in a moment of weakness have blown the dust off my videocam-to-scope connector which still seems to work. So I must remember that there is more to life than record shots and try to follow Alan D's shining example of sketchin n shootin.

The one I saw was in a tiny scrap of woodland next to the motorway. The ground was strewn with rubbish and the cars and lorries whipped past within a few feet. Not exactly ideal habitat and not exactly where I thought I might spot a lifer like that but beggars can't be choosers I guess!

Have a great weekend, however you choose to record it.

Mike

The lesser peckers are all here, they came over in my luggage. Apart from the one in Ed's superb sketch - he got away. I managed to see 4 in the UK, usually high up in a treetop looking like a mint humbug stuck to the branch. I get to see that many per month if I'm birding enough in the right places now.

The lesser peckers are all here, they came over in my luggage. Apart from the one in Ed's superb sketch - he got away. I managed to see 4 in the UK, usually high up in a treetop looking like a mint humbug stuck to the branch. I get to see that many per month if I'm birding enough in the right places now.

Happily rather common here, but not really that easily seen unless you are in the right area. Great little birds, and a lovely sketch Ed..

Don't suppose I'm that likely to get one up here . . . having said that, we have a Golden Oriole this morning . . . . . . .
Really looking forward to the results of your trip Ed. You always throw something in from left field - really gets the brain going.

Hello all. Just to breath a little life into my thread, here's a stupidly large and a stupidly small duck from this last week.

-the Baikal Teal shows the South Koreans on top form (their motto with all things landscape related being if you are going to do it bad, do it big...and yes that is a doorway in its chest)

- the Garganey is a memento of my Suffolk spring, bird currently photoshopped onto a scan of the more-or-less-finished painted background which was posted with blurry Greenshanks up-thread a few posts, whilst I work out where the bird should go. It could be that this one needs amongst other things a vigorous crop, so Mr Black and Mr Decker are waiting in the wings..

Attachments

• bkl799DSC00001 copy.jpg
    bkl799DSC00001 copy.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 113
  • gargDSC_0002 copy.jpg
    gargDSC_0002 copy.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 110
I wouldn't take anything off with a B+D. To me what you've got is a great example of how a bird in landscape should be done. You know the bird is there but you have to look for it because it is so much a part of the landscape and that is exactly how birds are, (except giant teal of course!). I've been visiting the major galleries here in London and looking at the work of the impressionists, so I'm loving the impressionist influences in this.

Mike

I agree with Mike, no need to chop stuff off this one, the garganey is superb where it is, a tiny part of the picture that holds the whole thing together, this is just like birding, there is a genuine sense of reality to it.

I can't think of anything witty to say about the big duck, yikes!!

That garganey piece is so wonderful, just love it! It really makes you feel you're right there in the real situation.

The teal... I'm speachless (and laughing!)

That's a very heartening reaction. I cracked on and painted the bird in last night, absolutely determined to resist the temptation to give it more detail than the rest of the pic. I couldn't remotely have done this one without the learnings I have plundered from the forum over the last little while, so thanks all.

Attachments

• cropgargDSC_0013 copy.jpg
    cropgargDSC_0013 copy.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0013 copy.jpg
    DSC_0013 copy.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 107
I couldnt see it first of all, the first thumbnail above was a great help in locating the target...................must get new glasses:storm:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back