• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

JTMB's Bird Art (1 Viewer)

Thanks Colleen, Ken, Ed and Newbird!

I reorganized my office/studio over the last few days and paged through some of my older sketchbooks - it is fun to see that progress has been made, although looking at some of my first attempts was pretty painful! :eek!:

Very nice owl there John. I take it's Great Grey? The subtle plumage patterns look very convincing, well done! Personally, the eyes seem a tad too orange to me. Not that I've ever seen such a stonking bird in the wild! I'm sure a bit of yellow goache would lighten them up a bit, though. To make the bird stand out, perhaps you could just suggest a background of trees with a bit of 'wet in wet', but keep things very, very subtle.
Don't ruin good work, though. Please continue to consult the artists on here. It might sound like I know what I'm talking about!

Russ

Hi John,
Agree with the others about the owl, but really like the Rainbow Lorikeet the colours are so bright and clean.

Chris

Thanks, Russ! It is indeed a Great Gray Owl...and I'm with you about never having seen one in the wild yet, despite three serious tries in the dead of winter in the small area of our state where they are sometimes found. One of these years...

Back Again - after a long absence

Hi folks,

I've been away from this forum for WAY too long and had to hop back on after a busy summer which included a six-week across-and-back-the-USA road trip during which I added 46 life birds to my list by visiting several parts of the country in which I had never birded.

I really am anxious to go through all the threads here and catch up with what everyone has been doing.

Most of my time has been spent on landscapes (mostly in oil) but I have still been sketching birds (mostly from references, some from life) and plan on doing much more of that this winter.

The following sketches are from a project I started at the beginning of 2012 and which fell by the wayside, but which I am now dead set on finishing. I decided to start a sketchbook and do a page per species of each species seen during 2012. Since I've seen 286 species this year (with still a chance for a handful more) that will be a big project - especially considering that so far I've done 22 of the species. So, it will carry over in next year, obviously (hopefully not 2014!).

The A4 sketchbook I'm using is from a wonderful premium binder - Stillman & Birn - it is their Epsilon model, which is a plate finish so it isn't meant for water-based media although I'm adding watercolor to some of the pieces anyway. It's great for dry media, so many of the sketches are in Pitt brush pens, and pencil. The Pitt brush pens I love, but even with a wide selection of colors, it's tough to match colors very closely, so bear that in mind.

Anyway, here are some of those sketches.

105-0852-AMRO2012BirdsAsSeen-Jan8,12.jpg105-0854-ROPI&AMCRFor2012Birds-Jan8,12.jpg105-0856-TRUSfor2012BirdsInOrder-Jan8,12.jpg105-0867-RWBLfor2012Birds-Jan13,12.jpg105-0877-SOSPfor2012Birds-Jan13,12.jpg

Last edited:
What a treat, love field notes like these, a wonderful peek into your birding experiences. Thanks for posting these, standouts for me include the Lincoln's Sparrow, Song Sparrow and that Northern Flicker drawn from below:)

Great :t: I love the Swan sketches id slap a frame around it then hang it. I remember as a kid at Minsmere looking at prints set up like that. Fell in love with them obviously its never left me;) Cool Sparrows too

Thanks Alan, Ken, Bigshent, Gaby, Matty and Ed! It's good to be back to the forum. Here are some more sketches adding a few more species to the group. These are quick sketches, and some are pretty rough, but I decided to post everything I'm doing during the project.

The first page here is Chestnut-backed Chickadees. We have four species of chickadees in our state (Black-capped, Chestnut-backed, Mountain and Boreal) and the Chestnut-backed is probably my favorite. They prefer coniferous forests. The next is Ruby-crowned Kinglets. The watercolor is really rough on the top bird - I attempted it quickly while watching TV and got a predictable (bad) result. This paper is not specifically watercolor paper either. The third page is Belted Kingfisher, a favorite species of mine. The kingfisher is done with an initial pencil drawing, then adding Pitt brush pens for the color washes. The final page is our tiny forest wren - the Pacific Wren - which is full of attitude despite its diminuitive size. I was pleased with the drawing and some of the watercolor with this page. The original drawing was pencil.

0005-G15-CBCHSketch-Dec,12.jpg0007-G15-RCKISketch-Dec6,12.jpg0009-G15-BEKISketch-Dec6,12.jpg0012-G15-PacificWren-Dec6,12.jpg

what a great narrative quality to this collection (and the previous- I remember the fishing diary too)

I do like images that reflect a birding or travelling life, rather than just being paintings

Speaking of that, and something I've mentioned on my own thread, I would treat myself to Michael Warren's American Birding Sketchbook for Christmas. I'm just going through it for the 3rd time since receiving it a few weeks ago. It's a wonderful birding travelogue that has at least a couple pages for each US state.

To me one of the hardest parts of rendering birds is deciding on background or environment. All his birds are in believable environments and to me are a lesson in how to portray birds as something more than just portraits in blank space. Outside of that though it really is like a travelogue and it's great fun to pick out the birds you recognize in each state, etc., etc. A cheap way to bird the US! And learn something about portraying them at the same time.

Thanks, Ken. I'll have to check out Warren's book - I had not heard about it before.

The main purpose of this project of mine is to provide a somewhat structured means to force a lot of drawing of birds in a short period of time - my drawing skills are not where I would like them to be yet (whose is? :-O) and this should help get better/quicker at proportions and some details. A second reason, of course, is to document all the birds I saw in 2012 as a reference when I'm old(er), crotchety and unable to get out to bird like I once was. I do want to try to do some more complete paintings or drawings with backgrounds and more considered compositions, especially in oil, which has become my primary medium for studio work and plein air studies.

Here are three more quick species sketches - pencil and gouache, A4 Stillman & Birn sketchbook. The first page is Downy Woodpecker, our smallest local woodpecker. Second is Bewick's Wren, which along with Pacific Wren is common on the west side of the Cascade Mtns. in our state. Finally is a Great Blue Heron.

0018-G15-DownyWoodpeckerSketch-Dec,12.jpg0020-G15-BewicksWrenSketch-Dec,12.jpg0022-G15-GreatBlueHeronSketch-Dec,12.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back