• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

guides in majorca (1 Viewer)

forthbirder

Hi. I'll be in Majorca in the first week in october, and as I don't drive, was wondering if anyone knew of any birding guides based on the island who could take me into the mountains to see the black vultures. Also, is there any chance of seeing bee eaters or elenora's falcon at this late time of year? Many thanks, Mark.

I don't know about guides, but there should still be Eleanora's in the north.

Where are you staying? Both Eleanora's and BV's can often be seen from Puerto Pollenca or Cala San Vincente (the latter is very good for Balearic Warbler too).

Eleanora's should be easy to find in the North at this time of year. They breed late to coincide with Southerly migration so they will be feeding youg now and very active. They are normally seen regularly at S'Albufera which can be reached by bus. Alternatively you should see them from the Formentera lighthouse which can also be reached by an infrequent bus. I have had very good views from the "aquila track" out of Cala san Vicenc.

BV's are seen infrequently from Boquer Valley but the best place is Cuber Reservoir (Embalse de Cuber). I don't know if a bus runs along this road.

I am not aware of any Mallorcan guides as all of the sites are very well known and accessible, but not driving would be a major drawback. Have you checked out www.birdingpal.org ?

There is a BF member based in Mallorca called ESTEBANNIC he may know some one or even be able to give you some information. You could try a PM to him.

BV's regularly move away from (I presume) their roost sites mid morning and can often be seen moving either east towards the Formentor or west towards Cuber from the roads around Old Pollenca or even Puerto Pollenca - Cuber is one of the famous sites (Lluc Monastery on the way another) but I'd be surprised if you couldn't connect without having to go into the Mountains - providing you are spending a reasonable amount of time in the area.

Majorca

Rob Smallwood said:
BV's regularly move away from (I presume) their roost sites mid morning and can often be seen moving either east towards the Formentor or west towards Cuber from the roads around Old Pollenca or even Puerto Pollenca - Cuber is one of the famous sites (Lluc Monastery on the way another) but I'd be surprised if you couldn't connect without having to go into the Mountains - providing you are spending a reasonable amount of time in the area.
Many thanks for the help Rob. Cheers, Mark

Thanks

Alf King said:
Eleanora's should be easy to find in the North at this time of year. They breed late to coincide with Southerly migration so they will be feeding youg now and very active. They are normally seen regularly at S'Albufera which can be reached by bus. Alternatively you should see them from the Formentera lighthouse which can also be reached by an infrequent bus. I have had very good views from the "aquila track" out of Cala san Vicenc.

BV's are seen infrequently from Boquer Valley but the best place is Cuber Reservoir (Embalse de Cuber). I don't know if a bus runs along this road.

I am not aware of any Mallorcan guides as all of the sites are very well known and accessible, but not driving would be a major drawback. Have you checked out www.birdingpal.org ?
Many thanks for the advice. Cheers, Mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back