• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Computer doodles for those that can't paint! (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade said:
OK, I'll play a little bit!

aaw! 'Shuck in a Snowstorm', Larry, the cutest darn thing I ever saw ;)

Like the Kite, Des, another one for the Early Years Fieldguide to the Birds of Britain and Europe, just seen your duck too, it's got real style - Reckon Bob's superb Squacco is for those with more experience though LOL (amazing you did all that on the computor Bob, it looks just like a real painting :eek!: )

Matt, dear, how about we email you some outlines and you can start by colouring them in LOL (ps. and don't be daft, drunken lobsters have produced some of the best artwork and music in history :flowers: )

Last edited:
deborah4 said:
aaw! 'Shuck in a Snowstorm', Larry, the cutest darn thing I ever saw ;)

Like the Kite, Des, another one for the Early Years Fieldguide to the Birds of Britain and Europe, just seen your duck too, it's got real style - Reckon Bob's superb Squacco is for those with more experience though LOL (amazing you did all that on the computor Bob, it looks just like a real painting :eek!: )

Matt, dear, how about we email you some outlines and you can start by colouring them in LOL (ps. and don't be daft, drunken lobsters have produced some of the best artwork and music in history :flowers: )

Deborah I can assure you it is a complete CHEAT,I have absolutely no artistic skills whatsoever ~ so here's another,this one's a real hoot(sorry)

Attachments

• oil owl.jpg
    oil owl.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 176
Doh! Anyone with an ounce of imagination could see it's supposed to be a wood pigeon -oh well, back to the drawing board B :) B :) B :)

Hey Deborah,have you found you missing specticles yet?

Think I know who the culprit is ;)

Matt

Attachments

• specticled owl.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I know I shouldn't rise to your bait, Matt - particularly not after celebrating a victorious pool evening, but a challenge is a challenge. Rest assured, however - it's a first and a last attempt - such a frustrating medium.

Attachments

• long-tailedDuck.jpg
    long-tailedDuck.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 168
timwootton said:
I know I shouldn't rise to your bait, Matt - particularly not after celebrating a victorious pool evening, but a challenge is a challenge. Rest assured, however - it's a first and a last attempt - such a frustrating medium.

Wow! Very 3 dimensional. Looks like it's flying out of the screen.

What software did you use Tim?

Cheers,
Des.

timwootton said:
Rest assured, however - it's a first and a last attempt - such a frustrating medium.

Sorry to hear you are not joining the digital revolution...you could do away with all those messy paint tubes, jars of water, brushes, all that clutter ;)

RFI Computer art software and hardware

Is there anyone out there with experience of such things as electronic drawing/painting software and hardware please?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice and experiences.

Cheers,
Chris B :)

Chris Monk said:
Is there anyone out there with experience of such things as electronic drawing/painting software and hardware please?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice and experiences.

Cheers,
Chris B :)

I work pretty much exclusively with a combination of photoshop and graphics pen/ tablet these days as there just isn't enough time to get the paints out. Mostly detailed work, but occasioanlly a rush of blood to the head as per another thread on here! Once you have mastered it, that kind of system is radically more efficient than the traditional methods, at least for illustration. Still challenging though- you still have to draw and paint..

For proper art, of course, proper artists tools are required (but biros will do as demonstrated on here)..although there is some astonishing graphic design work being done away from the bird field in the photoshop world.

I'm happy to share more if you are interested, on here or by PM.

Ed K

Last edited:
timwootton said:

Absolutely stunning!

Matt

ed keeble said:
I work pretty much exclusively with a combination of photoshop and graphics pen/ tablet these days as there just isn't enough time to get the paints out. Mostly detailed work, but occasioanlly a rush of blood to the head as per another thread on here! Once you have mastered it, that kind of system is radically more efficient than the traditional methods, at least for illustration. Still challenging though- you still have to draw and paint..

For proper art, of course, proper artists tools are required (but biros will do as demonstrated on here)..although there is some astonishing graphic design work being done away from the bird field in the photoshop world.

I'm happy to share more if you are interested, on here or by PM.

Ed K

Thanks Ed,

Are there any brands/makes of software and graphics pens and tablets you would recommend? What do they cost? Is there any freeware or budget software you would think OK for a beginner/pauper?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Monk said:
Thanks Ed,

Are there any brands/makes of software and graphics pens and tablets you would recommend? What do they cost? Is there any freeware or budget software you would think OK for a beginner/pauper?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,
I just downloaded a free piece of software called Artweaver. It seems to be more difficult to use at first than MS Paint but it looks like there is loads more you can do with it if you persevere.

I might invest in a pen/tablet myself. The old mouse is a bit uncontrllable.

Cheers,
Des.

desgreene said:
Wow! Very 3 dimensional. Looks like it's flying out of the screen.

What software did you use Tim?

Cheers,
Des.
Hi Des - I used photoshop for this wooden duck! Unlike Ed (who clearly knows a damn site more than me about, well, probably everything) I'm still using a steam-powered pointing device called a MOUSE - I think Ed has a Light-sabre or something. I remember once reading about these new-fangled graphics tools, but put them firmly into the cupboard marked 'Fanciful Thinking, The Round-Earth and Other Things Which Won't Happen!
If you're seriously interested - Photoshop allows one to work in layers - the only way to get believable (by 'believable' I really mean 'photographically believable' as there are, of course, many truths) and it's a good trick to get the hang of useing the smudge and blur tools - soft, out-of-focus effects etc.
Whatever, don't forget to keep your pencil sharp!!!! (Baaa, Humbug!)

timwootton said:
Hi Des - I used photoshop for this wooden duck! Unlike Ed (who clearly knows a damn site more than me about, well, probably everything) I'm still using a steam-powered pointing device called a MOUSE - I think Ed has a Light-sabre or something. I remember once reading about these new-fangled graphics tools, but put them firmly into the cupboard marked 'Fanciful Thinking, The Round-Earth and Other Things Which Won't Happen!

If you're seriously interested - Photoshop allows one to work in layers - the only way to get believable (by 'believable' I really mean 'photographically believable' as there are, of course, many truths) and it's a good trick to get the hang of useing the smudge and blur tools - soft, out-of-focus effects etc.
Whatever, don't forget to keep your pencil sharp!!!! (Baaa, Humbug!)

Light sabres available from here: Intuos 3 from Wacom http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/intuos.cfm- simply brilliant (nope- not sponsored by them ;) ). But there will be plenty of others out there as well.

I definitely don't know about system requirements except that the sabre works on MAC or PC. You do need enough speed RAM or whatever to ensure that there is no time lag, i.e. the speed at which paint is displayed on the monitor matches the speed you move your pen over the tablet.

As for smudge and blur in photoshop- those two plus the clone tool and gradient tool would be my top 4 most used- apart from yer brush and eraser. I do have a paint a feather in photoshop tutorial, but that might send Tim over the edge..

Ed K

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back