• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how to make fat balls (1 Viewer)

anyone make up there own recipie for fat balls .i am thinking of making them because the shop is costing 50c each and they are not to big.thankyou.

I use one third beef dripping, whizzed up peanuts, and feeder seed.

I use a 2 pint milk carton as a mould with a hanging stick pushed in whilst its still soft.

Pour the melted dripping in small amounts and add the other ingredents a bit at a time giving it a plunge with the handle of a wooden spoon to make sure its well mixed. Push in the hanging stick. Then just leave to set and remove the mould and hay presto hanging fat feeder.

You must watch the tempreture of the beef dripping tho....just melted is what you want...not hot enough to fry chips!!!

Works every time!

Sorry Kenny i wasnt paying attention to your post for fat balls Make the same mix in a big bowl and wait untill it is starting going firm then quickly roll each one out by hand.....job done!

Last edited:
Hi mate

I do things slightly different, I use Suet or Lard warm it up in the microwave add some porridge oats to firm it up a little, various seeds and nuts table scraps and pretty much anything else i think they will like.
Apple has been good at the minute also peanut butter is a firm fave, Place into freezer till firm enough to roll into balls cakes sausages what ever go'es!

No recipe every batch is different lol

karpman

Hi mate

I do things slightly different, I use Suet or Lard warm it up in the microwave add some porridge oats to firm it up a little, various seeds and nuts table scraps and pretty much anything else i think they will like.
Apple has been good at the minute also peanut butter is a firm fave, Place into freezer till firm enough to roll into balls cakes sausages what ever go'es!

No recipe every batch is different lol

karpman

I knew you would be lurking Karpster with anything to do with home made Bird grub ;)

Keep it up good buddy :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back