• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron HR WP 8x42 (1 Viewer)

A question for Chris Galvin,

How about an 8x32 version of the HR WP with some ED glass and a wide fov, now that`s a binocular I`d pay a premium for.

Heck, I would settle for any high-end performance from Opticron as long as it had an extra wide field of view...Internal focus, external focus, 8x32, 8x42, 7x35, 7x42 or 7x50.

;)

A question for Chris Galvin,

How about an 8x32 version of the HR WP with some ED glass and a wide fov, now that`s a binocular I`d pay a premium for.

Not sure that a 32mm OG is going to benefit from ED for the cost it would add. The focal length would likely not induce CA to the extent that it would warrant the price premium.

The HR WP platform is unlikely to be an attractive option for significant development as from a commercial point of view there is a tendency towards roof prism as the "next best thing" - a trend that many on here will lament of course.

Cheers, Pete

What is your assessment of the Pentax PCF series? They seem to have a bit more field of view. And according to its specifications are internally focused.

What is your assessment of the Pentax PCF series? They seem to have a bit more field of view. And according to its specifications are internally focused.

I've not seen them myself, but Edz over on CN compared them to several other pairs and appears to have concluded that they are pretty good.
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1761

It's a highly technical report aimed at astronomers, but the conclusion sections towards the end might be helpful.

David

Copy of my post from a different thread as it relates to the HRWP and is more appropriate here.

Just a post to report that my HRWP 8x42 poros arrived today.
I am trying these as a replacement for my Monarch 8x42 with which I was becoming dissatisfied.
The HRWPs have a similar FOV to the Monarchs but have a longer minimum focus. The slightly longer focus isn't really an issue for me and I am used to that FOV.
In terms of sharpness, the size of area of sharpness (sweetspot?), contrast and CA, all are considerably better in the HRWP. They're very good.

I'll try them out for a while then perhaps post my more considered impressions in an appropriate thread. Thanks for the pointers. So far, I'm very pleased :)

Dave

Dave,

I do look forward to seeing further comments of yours on this model. This is one of the better current production porros out there in my opinion.

I’ve had a couple of outings with my HRWP 8x42 and several sessions comparing them to other bins in the yard. Here is my opinion on them.

Looking at a scene that included contrasty objects, I can see that they are not perfect, CA becoming visible as the objects were viewed nearing 50% of the radius from the centre. It comes in quite gently, seen as a discolouration rather than a coloured strip.
I found that the sweet spot was large (by the standards of my other bins), when viewing scenes in overcast light out somewhere near 65-70% of the radius from the centre, before I noticed a loss in sharpness. I found the brightness and contrast to be very good indeed with distortion (curving of straight lines when viewed nearing the edges of the field) being nearer to average.
Out in use birding (where some features seen in my test view may not be so obvious), they give a wonderfully detailed and clean view, so much better than my regular roofs that I had to check the roofs to see if something had happened to them. I viewed a Chaffinch at fairly close range, not unusual, but the detail and colouring that I saw was quite extraordinary.
I am really pleased with these. It’s quite possible that I may not use some of my other binoculars again. I don’t know if this level of performance is available in roofs at a similar price, but recommend that anyone thinking of buying in this price range should try these at their dealer's.
Dave

Last edited:
DAve - On some earlier thread I compared the Leupold Cascade porro 8x42 (optically and mechanically identical to the Opticron) to my SE 8x32 and Zeiss FL 8x32 at deep dusk looking at animals. The Cascade out performed these superb binoculars, showing that the extra 10 MM of objective lens and a 6 MM exit pupil does make a difference in a quality porro. I haven't seen a roof of comparable price that can match it, and it is water proof to boot. John

A minor update, partly because when re-reading my post on my impressions on the HRWP 8x42, it seemed a little harsh on the CA. My "test view" is a neighbours chimney, complete with UHF aerials (set against the sky), blobs of lichen and some metal fittings.
These zinc coated fittings, especially the small corner brickwork protectors are the most difficult thing to achieve a good focus on, and are the first thing to show CA as I scan across them. In real world birding, I do not expect to come across such an awkward scene.

Out a few more times in the woods. the 3D view of these bins is quite new to me. Combined with the large sweet spot, the clean sharp view is really enjoyable. Minor concerns that I had regarding the focus speed disappeared after seeing the view and the extended DOF compared to my roofs.

Dave

Opticron HR WP 8x42 Differential Focussing Play

Took delivery of these binoculars two days ago and am delighted with them. My example has a minor flaw so I thought I'd describe it here, for the benefit of anyone finding difficulty setting the dioptre adjustment on their HR WP.

The dioptre adjustment wheel moves the left barrel focussing lens. Using the main focus wheel, there is some mechanical play in this lens, but not the right. Therefore, if the dioptre adjustment was set when focussing in, it will be incorrect when focussing out, and vice versa.

In practice, I have found perfect focussing obtainable by setting the dioptre when focussing in, then in the field, always focussing past my subject before bringing the focus in; never the other way round.

Congratulations on your HRWP. :t:

Sounds like focus slop is something that could/should be easily fixed. Have a word with the retailer or give Opticron a call.

David

Thanks David - I have done. The guys at Devon Camera (Exeter) are very helpful and they're going to get another one in for me to try. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back