• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why can' they make an alpha binocular with a 600 foot FOV and sharp edges? (9 Viewers)

Would there be a way to lubricate the Sightron's?

Dennis,

Good question. A vintage porro and a current roof are two totally different animals. I have not attempted to take apart any current roof for a couple of reasons. One is the waterproofing issue and, two, they don't seem as readily accessible in terms of a "field repair". Accessing key components via readily available screws does not seem a strong point for any current roof. Based on what I have seen from several videos it appears as if the manufacturers do remove the rubber armor on some models to access many of the necessary components.

I don't feel comfortable attempting this on a current roof prism model that I intend to use on a regular basis.

Of course, something simple like a shot of lubricant at a key spot by the focus may do the trick. I haven't had the need to do it myself so don't want to comment further.

I have no experience with this model at all but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try Frank's suggestion. A very small amount of lubricant at the right place might do the trick. I like silicone based lubricants for applications of this nature.

The waterproof sealed nature of modern roofs is a double edge sword in my opinion. It's great when everything works but their construction is more expensive and not conducive to simple maintenance.

I do overnight fishing trips on the river several times a year and usually have a pair of binoculars for checking out the wildlife. I have several waterproof/nitrogen sealed roofs and porros which would seem ideal but I always opt for one of my vintage porros. I don't have over 30-40 dollars in them at the most, they put up great views, and most importantly if I take a spill in my kayak I can dry and or clean them myself.

Steve

If Vortex and Nikon (those I have experience with ) can adjust focus on their binoculars, it would be a logical conclusion that Sightron can too. I would also think that It would be possible for a hobbyist to do so as well, but I don't know how to get the focus shaft out of a roof, never have tried. I'm still learning too much about the vintage porros to even look.

So, what I suggest is to call Sightron and talk to somebody in their service or repair department. I have a notion they can regrease the focus pretty easily.

If Vortex and Nikon (those in my experience) can clean and adjust focus on their binoculars, I'd bet Sightron could too. That is likely one of the easier things to do in a roof...IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING...and I don't ;). Not with a roof for sure.

I'd just get on the phone and call Sightron, talk to somebody in the service or repair department and see what they say. It might be just a simple warranty issue.

I agree with Steve that one of the draws to a good vintage porro is that taking one apart and cleaning it up yourself is not hard. Maybe a roof isn't either...but these are different animals.

EDIT: I got curious and called Sightron, yes, they say that is a simple, cost free warranty issue. Just send it in with an explanation.

Last edited:
If Vortex and Nikon (those in my experience) can clean and adjust focus on their binoculars, I'd bet Sightron could too. That is likely one of the easier things to do in a roof...IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING...and I don't ;). Not with a roof for sure.

I'd just get on the phone and call Sightron, talk to somebody in the service or repair department and see what they say. It might be just a simple warranty issue.

I agree with Steve that one of the draws to a good vintage porro is that taking one apart and cleaning it up yourself is not hard. Maybe a roof isn't either...but these are different animals.

EDIT: I got curious and called Sightron, yes, they say that is a simple, cost free warranty issue. Just send it in with an explanation.

My Sightron seems to be getting looser with use everyday. I just need to use them more and they will be ok. I need to do MORE birding. HaHa! The lube and focus does loosen up. Excellent binoculars they are. There is alot of things I like about them! Without a doubt the BEST value in an all around birding binocular available on the market today(even beat the EII for value). I have mine in an Eagle Optics case with a belt loop and they are so light and convenient to take anywhere with you. Very nice. Heh, you can get into birding for $150.00 and that is pretty hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back