• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby blue jay is stuck - help! (1 Viewer)

jillyc

Hello - We have a blue jay nest in a tree right outside our living room window. The mother had 5 babies, 3 of which figured out their wings and left today. The fourth is still in the nest, and the fifth appears to be stuck at the bottom of the nest between some small branches. He/she has been like that for the last 24 hours. How can we help the bird? Momma Blue Jay got upset with me when I went outside to examine, so I left. Should we wait until the 4th bird leaves? What do I need to know about rescuing the 5th bird?

The prevailing thought is let nature take it's course, intervene as little as possible if at all.

A few years ago I had a House Sparrow nest in my front yard tree. It was in a nest box. All the chicks fledged except one. The adult birds kept trying to entice that little chick out of the box. That little chick would poke it's head out the hole and chirp away but she would go no further. This went on for days. The adult birds continued to feed that chick all day long but the chick wouldn't exit the box.

I kinda forgot about it until one day about a week later I noticed that chick looked like a full grown Sparrow..!! Not only that but those adult birds where still feeding it.

It was at this point I figured time to intervene. I took the nest box down and pried the roof off the box. Sparrows make a messy nest, kinda tunnel like and they build right over an old nest. After clearing off the top of the 'tunnel' I found the chick (now a grown bird) had it foot wrapped around a sturdy bit of string that it's parents used at the start of it's nest building. The string was intertwined with some twigs at the bottom of the nest. After I cut that string the House Sparrow flew off like she's been flying all her life.

I hope this story eases your anxiety a little.

Watch what goes on for the next day or so, it may work it's self out.

Good luck my friend.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back