• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Casual Euro-listing, 2006 (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
My work frequently involves shortish trips to various corners of Europe. Invariably I have a pair of bins with me and occasionally I even get to use them. By nature however, any birding is largely opportunistic, so usually I’ll just see what’s in the area rather than visiting specific birding sites. Out of curiosity, this year I thought I’d make the effort to keep a country by country year list. The idea was not to aim for a big number, but just to take it easy and see how many species I see without really trying. Somewhat belatedly, here’s the story so far…

Last edited:
January: Denmark and Sweden

A trip to Copenhagen which, unusually, involved a weekend-off in the middle, gave me the chance to catch-up with my Denmark-based friend David and start the list with some real birding. Before then however, my first Danish bird of the year was a Rough-legged Buzzard hunting over the airfield as the plane taxied in to the gate – not a bad start. A Saturday afternoon trip to a woodland area north of Copenhagen produced the local specialities of wintering Dipper and Kingfisher and resident Short-toed Treecreeper and Black Woodpecker.

The next day we went for a full day over the bridge into Southern Sweden. This is a reliably good winter trip due to the numbers of birds of prey, particularly Red Kite and White-tailed Eagle, which can be seen at this time of year. For this trip however, there were also a few bonus species available, with Steller’s Eider, Spotted Eagle and Eastern Imperial Eagle all being reported the previous day. In the event we missed the first two, but after some rather wild and entertaining car chases, we finally caught up with the Imperial Eagle perched in a tree. This was our main target of the day, not least because it was a lifer for David, but although we missed the other two rarities we did pretty well for other goodies, including Hen Harrier, Goshawk, Rough-legged Buzzard, Great Grey Shrike as well as the expected Red Kites and White-tailed Eagles. For me however, bird of the day was at our last stop; an Eagle Owl which showed well at a site near Lund.

Next day, as I was having breakfast in the hotel, a flock of Waxwings flew by the window, leaving both my Danish and Swedish lists on 50 species for the year so far.

January: The Netherlands

Another trip to Copenhagen later in January didn’t produce any more birds in Denmark, but a glance out of the window while in transit at Amsterdam airport started my Dutch year list with Common Gull and Jackdaw for a total of two species. That isn’t going to do my averages any good…

April: Denmark and Germany

To get to a meeting in Rostock, on the Baltic coast of Germany, I flew into Copenhagen, then got a lift with Danish colleagues all the way to Rostock. This involved taking a ferry across the Baltic, a journey which included a good scatter of Black-throated Divers and Long-tailed Ducks. The meeting in Rostock took place in the rather unpromising location of an office on an industrial estate on the edge of the harbour. Nonetheless, some migration was apparent, with Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler and Common Redstart amongst others, appearing in the sparse bushes around the industrial estate while I was there. In addition, Black Redstart was common around the harbour area. We had a day off on the Sunday, when together with Swedish colleague & fellow BF member ebba, I took a stroll along the beach at nearby Warnemunde. Birds were a bit thin on the ground, but did include Red-necked Grebe and a rather unexpected Caspian Tern. The highlight however, was the always fantastic sight (and sound) of a flock of migrating Cranes overhead.

My return ferry trip produced some nice feeding flocks of Little Gulls, fortuitously in both German and Danish waters, leaving me with a German total of 55 species. The Baltic crossing also produced Razorbill – a useful Danish tick – and a rather lost Blue Tit trying to catch-up with the ferry. My journey onward to Copenhagen, and the three following days spent at another meeting north of Copenhagen, topped-up my Danish list to 65 species.

May: Spain

Definitely some cheating involved here as my May trip was planned purely for birding and was anything but casual. Together with partner-in-crime, and occasional BF-er Mollymawk, I spent a week in Spain, mostly around Extremadura, but with a diversion North of Madrid to look for Dupont’s Lark. We had a most enjoyable and successful trip where we saw pretty much everything we were looking for (though we have still yet to actually see Scops Owl). Highlights included both Bustards and both Sandgrouse on the steppes in the Trujillo area; a group of six Great Spotted Cuckoos arguing amongst themselves on wires south of Trujillo; superb views of Spanish Imperial Eagle and spectacular numbers of vultures in Monfragüe, and a rather too close encounter with an Iberian Ibex in the Sierra de Gredos. An excellent trip, which gave me eight lifers, but for the purposes of this thread it can be reduced to the bare statistic of 139 species for Spain.

A few highlights, including a mystery bird especially for Edward, below.

Attachments

• Great Bustards.jpg
    Great Bustards.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 189
  • Edward mystery.jpg
    Edward mystery.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Griffon.jpg
    Griffon.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Ibex.jpg
    Ibex.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 168
June: The Netherlands and Italy

My flight to Milan involved a change of plane in Amsterdam. As a result I was able to increase my Dutch year list by 150% to five species, with Oystercatcher, Carrion Crow and Grey Heron seen from the runway. Italy itself was rather uneventful, with Honey Buzzard as the only year-tick amongst a total of 37 species.

The statistics to date:

Denmark : 65
Germany : 55
Italy : 37
Netherlands : 7
Spain : 139
Sweden : 50
UK : 136
Europe Total : 243
Average per country : 69.86 species.

Next stop, Ireland.

Jos Stratford said:
Think you'll start a diplomatic hoo-ha, what with 'scoring' the Netherlands so highly :))

I should be back there in September, when I will actually enter the country. That should help push the numbers up a bit.

Stuart

Excellent idea Stuart, look forward to updates. Not quite sure what that great big spotted bird, looks bit like a cuckoo is on those phone lines. Can't find it anywhere in my notes.

E

Jos Stratford said:
Think you'll start a diplomatic hoo-ha, what with 'scoring' the Netherlands so highly :))
Not offended at all! Schiphol isn't a top birding spot... although some claim Short-eared Owls winter there.

Nice one Stuart, will be watching with interest.

When are you going to Ireland?, I and a few others from Scotland are going there seawatching in August if your around.

Cheers Jules

Hi Jules,

I'll be in Galway for a conference next week, and as usual any birding will be purely opportunistic so sadly no chance of Fea's Petrel for me this time.

Cheers,

Stuart

June: Ireland

My trip to Galway turned-out to be pretty much all work (well it was a work trip after all) which meant that the only birds I saw were those over Galway city or next to the road between Galway and Shannon airport. This led to the underwhelming total of 25 species. Needless to say, Fea’s Petrel did not feature in that meagre total.

The statistics to date:

Denmark : 65
Germany : 55
Ireland : 25
Italy : 37
Netherlands : 7
Spain : 139
Sweden : 50
UK : 139
Europe Total : 244
Average per country : 61.5 species.

Excellent thread Stuart.

If I may venture a guess on your mystery bird - it looks very much like the migrant Great Spotted Cuckoo (a cuckoo then like Edward was suggesting) Clamator glandarius that we get in East Africa.

Cheers
Marcell

MarcellC said:
Excellent thread Stuart.

If I may venture a guess on your mystery bird - it looks very much like the migrant Great Spotted Cuckoo (a cuckoo then like Edward was suggesting) Clamator glandarius that we get in East Africa.

Cheers
Marcell

Hi Marcel,

Your guess is of course correct. Edward has a long history of failing to see the species, so maybe Rwanda should be his next destination.

Cheers,

Stuart

StuartReeves said:
Hi Marcel,

Your guess is of course correct. Edward has a long history of failing to see the species, so maybe Rwanda should be his next destination.

Cheers,

Stuart

Actually I've been thinking of not seeing it in Uganda next, Stuart.

What's the next country on the agenda Stuart? I might go looking for Snowy Owls next weekend if you fancy it again and can wangle a work trip here! They've been getting Blue Whales from Húsavík this summer too I hear.

E

Actually I've been thinking of not seeing it in Uganda next, Stuart.

How shall I convince you then Rwanda is right next door and a very very good option? (being diplomatic for the sake of all our fellow BF-ers - they might get a bit jealous of us) :))

Cheers
Marcell

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back