• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (1 Viewer)

Day 2: 34

Had a bit of time today. After adding a blue-white skywash, it's back to re-defining the flock with grey water-colour pencil.
(You can see the un-defined ones in the lower right quarter...)
Learning Crane-shapes, and planning. When this is done in rough, the sky will re-appear as a back-wash. It was a grey day. So this will be borne in mind.
The Cranes will be lost again. But when the sky is sorted, they can return.
And I can find them again.;)B :)
Then, the process of giving them their "Crane-ness" can commence...
This will involve an individual painting of each crane. But not too fussy!
Juvenile plumage and 2cyr plumage! Plus the colour-ring combinations as an added detail!
2 days in which to complete.:eek!:
Let's see how it goes...:cat:

Thanks for your kind comments...this is on-going!

ps Terrible if it all went wrong, but it's a present for somebody close. So this cannot go wrong!:-O

pps Washing laundry in public!:-O Hope it serves some purpose!:t:

Attachments

• 2whole.jpg
    2whole.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 26
  • day2crop.jpg
    day2crop.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 30
Hi Russ, love these latest pared down drawings!

The Crane piece already looks great, brave scene to take on! Nice to know these birds are doing well. As a matter of interest do the Cranes show any inclination to migrate, or have they settled in one area, or even developed a winter strategy at a different site? It strikes me these birds could be vunerable to a severe winter should they be too sedentry. In any case I look forward to the finished piece..

Day 3: "34"

Thanks Rodrigo, Alan (Russ?;)), and Gaby.

Day 3 has driven me nuts!:eek!: Why didn't I choose a simpler subject!:-O

1 day left. |<| Here's the latest. Almost there. Just the cosmetics on 34 Cranes to go!:-C|8.||=(|

Re-adding outlines complete, re-whiting wash on sky complete, and basic grey-ground to Cranes enacted.

Now to pull it all together and finish this Mother of a Beast!B :):cat:

Attachments

• day3 outlines.jpg
    day3 outlines.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 22
  • day 3 re-whiting bground.jpg
    day 3 re-whiting bground.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 26
  • day3 re-white complete.jpg
    day3 re-white complete.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 23
  • day 3 grey ground.jpg
    day 3 grey ground.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 38
Hi Russ, love these latest pared down drawings!

The Crane piece already looks great, brave scene to take on! Nice to know these birds are doing well. As a matter of interest do the Cranes show any inclination to migrate, or have they settled in one area, or even developed a winter strategy at a different site? It strikes me these birds could be vunerable to a severe winter should they be too sedentry. In any case I look forward to the finished piece..

Alan,

It's all here.

http://www.thegreatcraneproject.org.uk/

The birds' needs are catered for with disused crops nearby for hard times. The birds routinely visit these "special sites.";)
The key is that they have no need to migrate. And that a new population is seeded from these young birds.

As to Ed?

"looking fine- you've got some interesting decisions coming up about how much work to put in bird-by-bird"

It seems, now I've reached the individual treatments, there may be some personalisation issues with the Cranes. :C

Each has a name, and a "ring-set", and I can forsee problems, as you predicted!;)

As this is making me bonkers..I will let you know what occurs next...

And, Colleen? I must make time to comment on and see your thread. And everyone elses'!:t:

Day 4: "34"

Out of time!:eek!:

I hope when the present is received that I get a little present back? At least 2 to 3 days more to work on this!:-O

Thanks to you all for sharing my lonely angst, and your kind comments during this ordeal!.:t:

It's not easy to paint 34 Common Cranes passing overhead!B :)

I will go into detail on the whole flock, as and when.

In the meantime I got to add black to the picture. And began developing individual birds. There are 12 juveniles in the flock. With ginger heads. I must get an easel after this! So many contortions during! And risk of smudging and spreading darker colours...

For big paintings? An adjustable easel is recommended! ;)

Pic 1 - added black
Pic 2 - present before wrapping

Thanks everyone for keeping me company on this!B :):t:;)

Attachments

• day 4 beginning blacks.jpg
    day 4 beginning blacks.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 26
  • blacks day 4.jpg
    blacks day 4.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back