• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Treecreeper or Short-toed Treecreeper (1 Viewer)

To add to the general debate, I would largely agree with the others, and Greg puts a very succinct summary of the features.

In my opinion the only solid feature visible from the photo's is the primaries. Before I explain further, I think the lighting in both photo's (which I assume to be of the same bird, even though they look very different) shows how little use colour and shade are when i.d.ing from photos alone. That said, the flanks do show some buff on both photos.

There is little value here in colour, bill-length (to me, this is another very subjective feature, and can change appearance from different angles), or the step in the primaries (I agree with Greg on this feature - it does depend on the lie of the feathers). Hind claw - will bow to Greg's greater knowledge. Svensson gives only the formula >0.14 x bill + 5.6 = familiaris, with a < at the start for brachydactyla. Not much use here. The alula pattern, often a very good first feature to look for, is not clear.

That leaves us back at the primaries. The bird clearly (in the second photo) shows two closely-spaced primary tips, then a short gap (P10, 9 and 8), and these tips are clearly demarked, without the pale tip extending to the inner edge of these primaries. This is diagnostic of brachydactyla. An additional feature, perhaps not too clear here, is the presence or absence of a pale spot on P4, at the leading edge of the primaries in fornt of the "step". From this photo, the bird appears to lack this, thus again indicating brachydactyla.

Hope this helps

Sean

I will keep it on a Short-toed Treecreeper.
I have listen to the song in (Bird Song) and then i say Short-toed Treecreeper.

Thanks all, for the ID and for the way to look for the difference.

Carola.

Ghostly Vision said:
There is little value here in colour, bill-length (to me, this is another very subjective feature, and can change appearance from different angles),

Is there an actual overlap in length of the bill of these two species? Especially when considering the size as a fraction of the size of the head? Otherwise, I would say that a long bill can look short due to a head that is turned, while a short bill cannot look long.

No single feature should be taken as a clincher, but for a quick starting point, length of bill normally works for me. (I should say used to work, it has been a couple of years since I lived in Europe)

Niels

njlarsen said:
Is there an actual overlap in length of the bill of these two species? Especially when considering the size as a fraction of the size of the head? Otherwise, I would say that a long bill can look short due to a head that is turned, while a short bill cannot look long.

No single feature should be taken as a clincher, but for a quick starting point, length of bill normally works for me. (I should say used to work, it has been a couple of years since I lived in Europe)

Niels

According to the European Passerines by Svensson :

Treecreeper (Cer fam) :
Bill (skull): 13,9 - 21.2 (n = 354), nail of hind toe : (7,1) 7,6 - 11,5
nail of hind toe > 0,14 x bill + 5,6 = familiaris
subspecies: C.f. familiaris, macrodactyla, britannica, corsa, persica

Short-toed Treecreeper (Cer bra) :
Bill (skull): 15,3 - 23.0 (n = 240), nail of hind toe : (6,5) 6,8 - 8,9
nail of hind toe < 0,14 x bill + 5,6 = brachydactyla
subspecies: C.b. brachydactyla, macrorhyncha

So very difficult to use these characters otherwise than trend-setting !

Hannu :eek!:

timmyjones said:
Are you sure about that as acording to my book the short-toed treecreeper isnt found in the netherlands

I thought it was actually the commoner of the two in the Netherlands? Anyone?

E

Thanks Hannu. If one thinks about the most typical 80% of the birds from each species, how will it all look?

njlarsen said:
Thanks Hannu. If one thinks about the most typical 80% of the birds from each species, how will it all look?

It's probably a quite difficult to find an exact answer to you question.

Svensson says that looks of Common Treecreepers depends on country and it's population; he wrote that e.g. Swedish Treecreeper's underside is totally whitish almost everyone but e.g. birds from Danish and German population has a slight brownish nuance in the back of their flanks.

Mead & Wallace's (1976) study has shown that 90% of the birds can id with these two characters, so with the help of bill and nail of hind toe.

The white figure on the edge of alula was atypical 9 individual of 87 Common Treecreepers and 4 aberrant of 21 Short-toed Treecreepers in Svesson's study. Mead find 11 % atypical figure of alula from 199 Common Treecreepers
and 35/136 (26%) Short-toed Treecreepers. .

Dornbusch (1989 or 1980) find 38 (15%) atypical figure of alula from 250 Common Treecreepers and 45 aberrant figures (27%) of 165 Short-toed Treecreepers.

I suppose that mainly the id of these birds based on combination of many characters in the reason of overlap.

I have never seen ST, so I can not comment more about their looks.

Hannu

Short-toed is common in The Netherlands, Common is not.
Although on the islands of the Waddensea (Terschelling f.e.) Common is relatively more common than elsewhere. (migratory birds from Scandinavia, Siberia)
In Limburg province Commons are Commons from Central Europe but still not common at all (Short-toed is also commoner there)

cheers,
HouseCrow

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back