• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition for more protections for the UK's raptors. (1 Viewer)

I've just read something about where this has already been brought in in Scotland and apparently it will still be a valid defence for the land owner to be shown to have not known about the offences commited and taken reasonable steps to prevent it.
So doesnt that basically just mean all they have to do is say ''I didnt know he was doing it i told him not to'' and they'd get away with it?

Isnt that just the situation that we have now making this whole thing rather pointless?

My advice is doing something is often better than doing nothing - it takes very little effort to sign the petition and I don't see what there is to lose (assuming you support the cause of course ;)) - let's then see what the conservation bodies and Scottish lawyers make of it. It seems to be the case these days that Scotland and Wales have a more progressive approach than England when it comes to changing law.

I totally agree Robin but unfortunately I just cant see how this is actually going to change anything at all, not that it would anyway because we'd still have the biggest problem which is actually catching and proving that anyone has done anything before we worry about how takes the most blame. Like you say though nothing to lose.

Packham leads campiagn against killings

Good to see the H&O Trust and Chris Packham standing up for BoP.

http://www.hawkandowl.org/About_us/newssections/newspages/PackhamCrusade2010

"But there is no excuse for shooting birds of prey, poisoning them or crushing their eggs – these are all 19th century reactions. There are other solutions today. Whether the problem is real or merely perceived, the last thing anyone should do is reach for a gun. Killing birds of prey is completely unacceptable under any circumstances. Where populations of other species are declining we need to identify the cause and not blindly blame birds of prey when farmland and songbird numbers, for example, are down primarily because of habitat loss."

I'm sure there are still lots of BF members who still haven't signed the petition yet :- http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23089

Only just found this !
Done, glad I also have a UK email address, the site did not want to know with my hotmail.com !

8,862 sigs to date :-C:-C come on !!!

This has been going since November is this the best we can manage closing date 17-11-2012
ColD

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back