• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

raptor silhouette identification (1 Viewer)

if i waded through everybodies answers and scores i could probably improve this but...

1 honey buzz
2 common kes
3 black kite
4 osprey
5 short-toed eagle
6 goshawk
7 booted eagle
8 hobby
9 common buzzard
10 peregrine
11 red kite
12 ???
13 hen harrier
14 monty
15 golden eagle
16 egyptian vulture
17 marsh harrier
18 eleonora's falcon
19 sprawk
20 lesser kes
21 griffon
22 lammergeier

Great try Mark!
8 out of 10 in the first 10 (if you use sparrowhawk three times you'll get it wrong at least twice)
9 out of 12 in the second part (kestrel wrong twice!). That makes 17, equal highest so far.
James 14 out of 22
It's getting very close now! In general the biggest stumbling blocks appear to be 8, 12 and 18, but if I remember correctly at least 1 attempt has got it right for 8 and 18, although none for 12.
Thanks to all for taking part!

http://www.birdinginspain.com

Great try Mark!
8 out of 10 in the first 10 (if you use sparrowhawk three times you'll get it wrong at least twice)
9 out of 12 in the second part (kestrel wrong twice!). That makes 17, equal highest so far.
James 14 out of 22
It's getting very close now! In general the biggest stumbling blocks appear to be 8, 12 and 18, but if I remember correctly at least 1 attempt has got it right for 8 and 18, although none for 12.
Thanks to all for taking part!

So I'm assuming there's only one of each species then! Didn't twig to that before. I'll have another look...

Erm...
I fancied i could clear up with some clever deduction but still reckon there's a few wrong here...
great quiz btw!!

1. Honey Buzzard
2. Black-shouldered Kite
3. Red Kite
4. Osprey
5. Short-toed Eagle
6. Goshawk
7. Booted Eagle
8. Eleonora's Falcon
9. Common Buzzard
10. Peregrine
11. Black Kite
12. KESTREL!!
13. Hen Harrier
14. Montagu's Harrier
15. Golden Eagle
16. Egyptian Vulture
17. Marsh Harrier
18. Hobby
19. Sparrowhawk
20. Lesser Kestrel
21. Black Vulture
22. Lammergeier

Wrong on both counts I'm afraid! Clue for 12: it's a species that breeds in Britain moor often than in many parts of Spain.

so I guess 12 is Hen Harrier, then?

one last time (still unsure about the falcons and 13):

1) Honey Buzzard
2) Black-shouldered Kite
3) Red Kite
4) Osprey
5) ST Eagle
6) Gos
7) Booted Eagle
8) Eleonora's
9) Common Buzzard
10) Peregrine
11) Black Kite
12) Hen Harrier
13) Bonelli's (??)
14) Monty's
15) Golden Eagle
16) Egyptian Vulture
17) Marsh Harrier
18) Hobby
19) Sparrowhawk
20) Kestrel (changed it from Lesser Kestrel since the wing forumla suggests Kestrel)
21) Griffon Vulture
22) Lammergeier

Morning Steve,

By any chance have you been sneaky and put some Owls in here?

Looking at 2 now it does look like a Barn Owl and James has gone for Hen Harrier for 12 which makes sense, but this drawing has got me, I can only think of Short eared Owl which could be early morning madness setting in.

Per'rigrin, the tail is wrong for Barn Owl at number 2.
Here's my guess ( i couldn't be bothered looking through everyone elses so this is a fresh guess).
1 Honey Buzzard
2 Black-winged Kite
3 Red Kite
4 Osprey
5 Booted Eagle
6 Goshawk
7 Buzzard
8 Red-footed Falcon
9 Bonelli's Eagle
10 Peregrine
11 Black Kite
12 Hen Harrier
13 Random Guess... Short-toed Eagle!??
14 Montagus Harrier
15 Golden Eagle
16 Egyptian Vulture
17 Marsh Harrier
18 Hobby
19 Sparrowhawk
20 Kestrel
21 Griffon Vulture
22 Lammagier

Last edited:
Stop Press!
Cajanuma's got it right! 100%! I didn't think anyone would get them all - congratulations, I realize it wasn't an easy task at all!

1) Honey Buzzard
2) Black-shouldered Kite
3) Red Kite
4) Osprey
5) ST Eagle
6) Gos
7) Booted Eagle
8) Eleonora's
9) Common Buzzard
10) Peregrine
11) Black Kite
12) Hen Harrier
13) Bonelli's (??)
14) Monty's
15) Golden Eagle
16) Egyptian Vulture
17) Marsh Harrier
18) Hobby
19) Sparrowhawk
20) Kestrel (changed it from Lesser Kestrel since the wing forumla suggests Kestrel)
21) Griffon Vulture
22) Lammergeier

Judging by some of the replies I think the next thing should be a spelling quiz (only joking!).

P.S. Now that you've had a look at the quiz why not look at the rest of the site?
I'm already thinking about the next "quiz with a difference", so stay tuned!

Hey Steve,
great quiz, well done cajanuma. Could have sworn no 13 was a harrier but there you go..
Would be nice to see the original non-silhouette photos??
James

I have a feeling I've seen this plate of silhouettes before - although I don't have the possible source to hand.

Hi Andrew

Yes I have seen these silhouettes too, and I know where you have seen these pictures.

The silhouettes of these birds are being used to deter garden birds from hitting your windows. Birds are always drawn by reflection of themselves on our building windows.
It is a bit like letroset, you peel back the backing sheet and stick the shape of the bird of prey onto your window. Bingo there you have it. :t:
No more accidents with low flying birds. ;)

I am sure this is where I have seen them. I have a set of them myself to stick on my windows at the moment - somewhere in the house. You can get them from the RSPB.

Peewit

Well played everyone,

Steve, any chance of posting the original of 12 the Hen Harrier please.

Regards

P

Here you are pe'rigin. Took me long enough to find it, so please don't ask me to remember where I got it from originally.

By the way, if I show the rest of the photos (those that i can find) no-one wil get worked up about any copyright issues, will they?

Regards
Steve

Attachments

• Hen H mascle.JPG
    Hen H mascle.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back