• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wildlife in graphite (2 Viewers)

Don't worry about the colour - these monochromes are wonderfully evocative renditions bristling with life. I've just had a thought - and, following a little lie-down - wonder if you would consider perhaps just introducing one tiny splot of colour to a drawing like this? I can imagine just the tiniest plip of red on the moorhen's bill (were it in view) could be a delightful touch. Whaddayathink? (I suppose the little girl's red jacket on 'Schindler's List' springs to mind.)

Last edited:
hi tim and thanks for your kind words.ive kinda come full circle with the graphite work,i started with pencil and at the time nobody would touch it and so i introduced colour(watercolour) and learnt to oil paint etc etc.i was never very good with colour so went back to graphite after 5 years of experimentation,i havnt touched colour for 10 years now,i did however try incorporating the two but it wasnt received very well.i think ive become a bit of a purist (or is that pig-headed?) and really love working in black and white.i'm trying nowadays to concentrate a little more on lighting and be a bit more 'arty' and a bit less detail led,and ,so far,i'm really enjoying it.

Have to agree. I don't see avocets very often. But when I do they are elegant, not fierce, skinny rhinos. In this pose the bill looks just as menacing a weapon as the horn of a charging rhinoceros - not that I see them all that often either.;)

Have to agree. I don't see avocets very often. But when I do they are elegant, not fierce, skinny rhinos. In this pose the bill looks just as menacing a weapon as the horn of a charging rhinoceros - not that I see them all that often either.;)

avocets are notoriously aggressive in my neck of the woods

but I gather that in the US, egrets have learned kung-fu to protect themselves:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetlanddoc/2553872322/

Gorgeous drawings Clive, both the egret and the avo.

Avocets are super aggressive when they have young or eggs to protect. I've watched a whole scrapeful of them pointlessly chasing shelduck youngsters around for ages.

Mike

ed and mike,thanks very much for your comments,as a relative newbie birder it's interesting to learn of the avocets behaviour,it did seem a relatively pointless exercise on the behalf of the avocets at the time as the moorhens seemed no threat to the fully grown juveniles,but fascinating to watch,although not a patch on the kung fu egrets,them i gotta see!!

The egrets I've watched in the US ,esp the snowys, use the kung fu on each other, more than other birds, I've watched a snowy be chased off by the little avocet, who is way smaller.

been away for a while,locked in the studio trying to put together an image of teal from reference material i got following a visit to slimbridge earlier this year.ive finally got enough down for it to be worth posting.ive been trying to work on a smaller scale otherwise this picture would have to have been much bigger and take forever and so instead of going for detail ive tried to re-create the scene observed from the hide.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 85
cheers mark,yes these are a bit dark,lighting a bit tricky at moment as i'm taking photos straight off the board.once ive finished it and had it scanned i'll post a decent shot in the meantime here are the 2 previous images properly scanned

Attachments

• CLM - The Chase_Territorial Avocet_PROMO (Large).jpg
    CLM - The Chase_Territorial Avocet_PROMO (Large).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 60
  • CLM - The Egret Pool_Little Egret_PROMO (Large).jpg
    CLM - The Egret Pool_Little Egret_PROMO (Large).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 62
thanks tim,progressed a little further now with all the teal in place,although the smallest female still needs a little work.just got to make a decent fist of the foreground water and reflections to hopefully tie it all in and bring it to life.still having a little trouble with the lighting i'm afraid.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back