• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (1 Viewer)

mattybohan

I just finished this painting of a canada warbler.

It is transparent watercolor on Lana paper approximately 8x10 inches.
canada.jpg

also included is a painting I did a little bit ago of a yellow-night crowned heron. That one is about 6x9 inches on lana paper as well.
http://home.comcast.net/~bohanart/ycnh.jpg

The past 2 years I haven't been pulled away from the birds by other commitments. Hopefully I'll use this forum to motivate me to do some more work.I sure have found others work here inspiring.

love the composition of the Canada warbler, and how the muted dull background really brings out that yellow.

thanks!
I use the Lana aquarelle paper for most things lately. Winsor and Newton used to have a paper that was perfect for me (Artists 140lb Not Cold in blocks) but they discontinued it. At least you can't find it here in the states. Their website makes no mention of it.

That paper was great. It would drink up a a wash and wouldn't puddle like hot many hot pressed papers, but it was smooth enough to really pour on the details. It even didn't mind the liquid friskit.

In Hot press papers, the Lana paper and Arches 140lb papers are both OK. Lana is better at drinking up a wash, but it is more delicate and sometimes will rip when you peel up liquid friskit which ruins your painting. If you scrub a lot and rework things it probably isn't the paper for you. Arches is more sturdy, but doesn't absorb as well in my experience. Again that is just for the hot pressed paper...I haven't used the rough and cold pressed ones in almost 20 years.

I end up using the Lana paper more lately and avoid using friskit... which in a painting like the Canada warblers is a pain to wash around all those branches and still keep it crisp.

I got turned on to the Lana paper by a friend who is a children's book illustrator/author who does watercolors. He bought a roll of the paper and didn't like it, but thought it would fit my style and gave it to me. For the most part it does work for me.

here is a link to Lana aper with more info:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz100/15/

Thanks for the information it was interesting - I haven't come across it over here. I personally like Arches 140lb not surface but do like to try others.

If you have a paper you know and love then by all means stick with it.

I'm still searching for that perfect paper.

I used to only use Arches 140lb HP paper. It is really good. I swore by it for years until one day they were out of smaller blocks at my local shop and I was forced to try something new. That opened my eyes because I liked the other paper (W&N artists 140lb NotCold) so much better. I want to try some other papers when I use up the Lana and Arches I have, but I have quite a stockpile of paper. I only wish I still had a stockpile of the W&N paper they no longer make!

Check ebay for it. Sometimes, people clear out their stuff and sell it at a discount on ebay. It's one way to get dicontinued papers. I believe you can set it so ebay will send auctions to your email when one comes up, so you don't have to check on it all the time to see if any is available. Also, they have a wanted section if you want to let sellers know you are looking for it.

That is a good idea. I have occasionally checked ebay with out luck, but should set up one of the automatic alerts if the paper comes up.

More paintings can be seen here:
http://home.comcast.net/~bohanart/

There are currently 100 paintings on the site. I need to add more as it isn't that up to date.

white ibis

Although I've been sketching a lot I haven't had as much time for the watercolors. I finally got a chance to paint this white ibis from my trip to Florida last winter.

Transparent watercolor on Lana paper
approx. 8 x12 inches

Attachments

• bohanibis.jpg
    bohanibis.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 255
Sketches of a female Baltimore oriole that was coming to the jelly feeder right outside our kitchen window this summer, and a white crowned sparrow from this spring. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work up some watercolors of these guys before too long.

Attachments

• wcsparrow.jpg
    wcsparrow.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 210
  • BO.jpg
    BO.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 240
Thanks everyone. Glad you like them. The orioles were really cooperative. We had 4-5 individuals coming to eat out of the jelly feeder last summer. Adult males and females, as well as the young birds once they hatched. Typically they only visit in May, but this year they hung around all summer. Lucky.

Ok, its not a bird, but it does have wings. I thought it might be worth posting a "Work in Progress" of a meadowhawk dragonfly transparent watercolor that I just finished. More to come... I used up my 5 uploads.

Attachments

• meadow00.jpg
    meadow00.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 170
  • meadow0.jpg
    meadow0.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 179
  • meadow1.jpg
    meadow1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 180
  • meadow2.jpg
    meadow2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 142
  • meadow3.jpg
    meadow3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 188
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back