• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

you win some, you lose some (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

After much mooing and cooing and mayhem whenever 'strange' Woodies landed on 'their' conifer, the resident pair have finally fledged their second brood. I first saw one of them on Saturday (28th) mooching about underneath one of the caged feeders looking for spillage, which of course is very little. Threw it a couple of handsfull of Maize. Later on towards Evening I went down the garden and a juv Woodie scuttled away and under the bushes. Assumed that it was the one that I'd already seen.

Looked out of the kitchen window yesterday morning and could see a carcase from a Spawk strike way down where the young Woodie had been. Got the bins and confirmed, strike one Woodie. I normally clear the remains with a shovel and dump them over the Lane where the re-cyclers can do their bit but this time I got pre-empted by a pair of Magpies. Apologies for the poor quality but it was a drizzly early morning, through the window and there are plants in the way. Did nip round to the Bedroom where I could get an uninterrupted view but then so could the Maggies and off they went. So then the corpse (or what remained) went over the Lane. Bye-bye young Woodies I thought.

Then this morning who should turn up again but the 'under the feeder' one, identified by the scruffy feathers, but this time eating well and at least able to fly. So it may be that at least one of them will make it. Hope so.

Bill

Attachments

• DS magpie on woody carcase 290608 .jpg
    DS magpie on woody carcase 290608 .jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DS magpie2 on woodie carcase 290608 1.jpg
    DS magpie2 on woodie carcase 290608 1.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DS magpie2 on woody carcase 290608 2.jpg
    DS magpie2 on woody carcase 290608 2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DS woodpigeon juv on grass 300608 1_1.jpg
    DS woodpigeon juv on grass 300608 1_1.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DS woodpigeon juv on grass 300608 2_1.jpg
    DS woodpigeon juv on grass 300608 2_1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 14
Great series of pics, Bill

If somewhat gruesome subject matter LOL!! Just goes to show nothing in nature goes to waste!!

Matt

Hi Bill,
Looks like it put up a good fight poor thing.
Wood pigeons fascinate me Bill. When I scatter the breadcrumb mix in the morning, I sit back with my cup of tea & watch the pecking order of visitors. The Jackdaws are usually the first to arrive followed by a mobbing Magpie. The smaller Birds wait until the initial feeding frenzy is over before getting stuck in.
The Wood Pigeon is confident & calm enough to carry on regardless of other Birds. I notice the Bigger Birds rarely challenge it, often giving way to it & the smaller Birds feed alongside it despite it's size & cumbersome crash landing.

I'm so glad your trooper survived Bill, & good action shots.

Ahh, I can't help feeling sorry for the one who didn't make it! I hope the other one does well, certainly looks as if s/he's enjoying the maize anyway. Well captured Bill.
Been watching a pair of 'my' Woodies over the last few days, building a new nest in the tree opposite, so more young 'uns on the way maybe.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back