• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite Bird Artist (1 Viewer)

Alan Harris is my favourite too....not only because he is my dad, ..... But i guess my opinion is going to be abit bias!

Nevertheless, I wonder that he has not been mentioned more often. I have a "unbiased" love of his work. Still have four of his originals gracing my walls. Wish he'd illustrate HBW!

I'm actually responding here to Tim's comment in the Hans Larsson thread about Bruce Pearson being a genius. I hadn't heard of him until I think Nick and maybe others mentioned him in a thread in the last few months or so. In any case rather than continue to hijack the Hans' thread I just wanted to say I agree with Tim: I'm really impressed by the boldness of Bruce Pearson's work. All of nature is a fit subject for his many skills. I was reminded of this today looking at his version of a coot, a bird I'd just drawn last week. This is the link. I'm really impressed by the imagination it shows. It's also nice to see someone who has decided that even insects are fit subjects for art. I drew insects myself at one time, but more as scientific illustrations, never as dynamic citizens of the natural world, perfectly fit to be subjects of art. Just goes to show you what an active imagination can do with what's right in front of you!

I wouldn't be surprised if he's mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread but I haven't yet had time to go back and read it's many pages..........

I'm really impressed by the boldness of Bruce Pearson's work. All of nature is a fit subject for his many skills. I was reminded of this today looking at his version of a coot, a bird I'd just drawn last week. ..........

Nicely put- his "In a New Light" is amongst my most-thumbed.

One thing I have noticed and am intrigued by - he often depicts an overall yellowy light in his East Anglia based work. For example:

http://www.pinkfootgallery.com/brucepearson.html

Great thread. For aesthetic art I love Lars Jonsson. For accuracy Ian Lewington is in my favourite. For something different Robert Gillmors linocuts are wonderful.

On the hunt for a local version of 'In a New Light' right now! Unfortunately he seems much more popular in Britain than here. Or at least his books are doing a better job of hiding from me............

Thanks for the link, Ed. I'm always happy to see more of his work.

Thanks Tim,

I did find that same site, and of course other intriguing books as well once I got there. But once I put book in my cart and tabulated shipping it came up equal to the cost of the book! So that's why I'm still hunting for it over here, with no luck so far sad to say..........

But it still may be worth every penny. Good thing I have a birthday coming up!

Ken

Thanks Tim,

I did find that same site, and of course other intriguing books as well once I got there. But once I put book in my cart and tabulated shipping it came up equal to the cost of the book! So that's why I'm still hunting for it over here, with no luck so far sad to say..........

But it still may be worth every penny. Good thing I have a birthday coming up!

Ken
I'll check postage for you Ken - could be I could send you one cheaper.

I'll check postage for you Ken - could be I could send you one cheaper.

That would really be great Tim! I'd love to get the book but was a bit shocked when I saw how high the shipping was. But then it's been awhile since I've investigated international shipping. I guess, all in all, it's not too surprising that it should be costly.

Ken:

If you find a US source, let me know. I have searched for this book too with no luck.

Sid

The search for many of the books by the better European bird artists in the US has been so bad I'm wondering about the possibility of starting up my own online store!! I'm sure that will never come to pass but I do think that there might be a market. It's shocking to me when I can't find anything anywhere in the US. But maybe I just need to explore more.

I once had the same notion about online bird art and artists. I just couldn't find much. Then I found here. How had I missed it!!

Hi I would say my favourite is Lars Jonsson who i have met and is a really nice guy, also John Busby , Peter partington have really inspired me , ive met peter who is good company, I also like Rob g loose style
I tend to enjoy the 'field sketching aspect of painting/drawing hence my choices

interesting discussion thanks

I rate Alan M Hunt Wildlife Artist

British Bird Paintings

That's a bit vain to be your favourite artist ;) (if that is you - your profile seems to say that), just been enjoying your website - some very atmospheric and nice action stuff on there. Particularly like the movement in the crocodile and zebras piece. Welcome to the best bit of birdforum. Look forward to seeing more.

For wildfowl Julian Novorol is streets ahead of anyone in my opinion. Not perhaps the most technically gifted but nobody comes close to capturing the atmosphere like he does.
Sir peter Scott, Archibald thorburn and Roger Mcphail are other favourites of mine.

To be fair, mzach8 doesn't actually say that Alan Hunt is his favourite artist - just that he rates him ;). So do I.
Post some more.

I think this is the Alan Hunt very famous well known British artist, wildlife and illustrator and who was one of the main artists for Lord of the Rings.....the owl sure looks like his....I'm not sure but maybe mzack8 is trying to get us to his site

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back