• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female of which redstart ? Help. (1 Viewer)

Sayib Khaliq

Date : July 31 2017
Hello guys,
I was wondering if this is the female black redstart.I am sorry for the poor quality of pics.I saw this bird at an elevation of about 3600 m above the sea level near a high altitude lake.
Thanks

Attachments

• b redstart 1.jpg
    b redstart 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20180114_023812.jpg
    IMG_20180114_023812.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
It reminds me more of female Guldenstadt's Redstart with its overall coloration, posture and structure, and there's a suggestion of pale fringes to tertials, but it's hard to be sure from these images. Can I ask how it was behaving? Did it wag or "shiver" its tail? And was it rather restless, hopping from rock to rock? Another thing I noticed about GR is that it seems to have a more vivid orange tail, which you notice in flight.

I'd have thought that 3600 m is high for Black Redstart, although I have seen it at 2900 m in Georgia. I see Hodgson's Redstart is also on the J & K checklist, but is supposed only to be a winter visitor.

It reminds me more of female Guldenstadt's Redstart with its overall coloration, posture and structure, and there's a suggestion of pale fringes to tertials, but it's hard to be sure from these images. Can I ask how it was behaving? Did it wag or "shiver" its tail? And was it rather restless, hopping from rock to rock? Another thing I noticed about GR is that it seems to have a more vivid orange tail, which you notice in flight.

I'd have thought that 3600 m is high for Black Redstart, although I have seen it at 2900 m in Georgia. I see Hodgson's Redstart is also on the J & K checklist, but is supposed only to be a winter visitor.

Thanks for answering, I would say ,yes the bird was restless, hopping from rock to rock but it was not wagging it's tail.I am attaching a link of a short video clip of the same bird below
https://youtu.be/V8IcnSHtrdA
Thanks again.

That's a very short clip! The bird does wag or pump its tail a couple of times, but not vigorously.

Have a look at this video, which, although it shows a male, shows the typical restless behaviour of GR - the way it bounces around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back