• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawthorn berries - poisonous or not? (1 Viewer)

Hi to all, my very first post on BF. Was intersested to read about hawthorn berries,I too saw ray Mears, so I tried his recipe- squeeze out juice, filter & dry in sun; I had no sun & I made it a bit too wet by adding water- the top layer went rubbery in fridge. Tasted OK & I didn`t die- so, yes it`s ok to eat !

Hi to all, my very first post on BF. Was intersested to read about hawthorn berries,I too saw ray Mears, so I tried his recipe- squeeze out juice, filter & dry in sun; I had no sun & I made it a bit too wet by adding water- the top layer went rubbery in fridge. Tasted OK & I didn`t die- so, yes it`s ok to eat !

Adventurous types welcome on BF.

Twite.

we used them as ammo in our pea shooters as kids we often swallowed them, and i am still here, mmm well, maybe only just. :smoke:

Last edited:
Yes when I was a child we used to eat Hawthorn berries and the leaves from the Hawthorn.Bread and cheese it was called.Still around ,so they are not fatal to humans.Dogs have an extremely diverse digestive system.This morning Alfie was found to be eating a dead sheep,which had been washed up on the beach.Needless to say he reguritated the contents of his stomach on the carpet,and is now enjoying his dental chew!!!.

Well thanks again everybody. Looks like Razzle is going to get away with it once again then.

Was going to try the berries this morning, but it appears the Fieldfares that have spent the last few weeks in the hedges round here have visturally stripped the bushes bare.

Raz is of course picking up the dropped, and now fermenting ones - probably the reason he is having them. He does seem to be staggering around a bit.

It's nice that my thread has evoked a first post on BF - well done Splinter1, it gets much easier form this point onwards.

Thanks again all.

Sean

According to my 'herbal' hawthorn is quite beneficial to the bloodstream and heart - not in the way that foxglove (digitalis) is though. Wine from hawthorn berries and leaves also supposed to have those health benefits. Can't be bad then unless you O.D on them.

Yew is the one that sticks out in my mind in that the berry itself is only iffy to eat but the seed in side is - uh oh - oh no. leave well alone But then most parts of the yew are poisonous.

Steve

Just to be very clear in case anyone should dangerously misinterpret Steviebabe's (entirely accurate) comment above:

foxgloves are potentially very dangerous and should not be consumed

digitalis is a very useful heart drug when prepared properly (as are other things like rattlesnake venom) but not one to play around with in the least bit without mad chemistry skillz.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/foxglove.htm

apologies for the melodrama but didn't want an interested reader with a homeopathic mindset to do themselves a tragedy.

Just to be very clear in case anyone should dangerously misinterpret Steviebabe's (entirely accurate) comment above:

foxgloves are potentially very dangerous and should not be consumed

digitalis is a very useful heart drug when prepared properly (as are other things like rattlesnake venom) but not one to play around with in the least bit without mad chemistry skillz.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/foxglove.htm

apologies for the melodrama but didn't want an interested reader with a homeopathic mindset to do themselves a tragedy.

Thanks Isurus,

I Should have made that clear

steve

Here's one that is troubling me.

How come Hawthorn berries are poisonous to humans, yet birds eat them and so does my dog - and neither of the latter suffer?

I was told it was because there is cyanide in the seeds, which of course birds don't swallow - but my dog chews them!

Any geniuses out there?

Sean

Sean,

Hawthorn berries are not poisonous, but the seeds are if eaten in large quantities (I wouldn't eat the seeds at all

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back