• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Nex 5 + TLS APO + Swarovski ATX 85, not working (1 Viewer)

Tenuki

Hello,

I've read some good reports on this setting. But I get a tremendous amount of vignetting and dark areas close to the corner.

I'm using the 23mm version of the TLS APO and I've tried a couple of adapters: opticron's and Dorr's. Opticron's allows me to identify the bird but it's not even close to a "clear" photo. Dorr's is useless.

So, I'd like to ask about the adapter, which one are you using? Do you get some vignetting or have you managed to completely avoid vignetting?

Thank you very much

Some tuning must be done within the menu, but the results are reasonably good
-Vignetting compensation
-Chromic aberration compensation
-Manual focus assistance ON (then you can tap on the screen for some digital zoom and focus tunning)
-Focus peaking off. I find it rather annoying instead of helpful, but it's useful for fast moving birds

Sample: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8547/30320638456_6cade04e76_k.jpg
Alcedo Atthis by Alex G, en Flickr

Last edited:
Regarding focus peaking, as you say, it can be helpful in some situations that don't allow "easy" precise manual focus, but not for everyday use. What I've done is to program one of the top small buttons with focus peaking ON/OFF, so I have it at hand quickly when needed. I have another top button programmed with the x5-x10 zoom ON/OFF, that is the way in which I fine-tune the focus of most of my photos. My camera is slightly different but I guess something similar can be done with yours.

Some tuning must be done within the menu, but the results are reasonably good
-Vignetting compensation
-Chromic aberration compensation
-Manual focus assistance ON (then you can tap on the screen for some digital zoom and focus tunning)
-Focus peaking off. I find it rather annoying instead of helpful, but it's useful for fast moving birds

Sample: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8547/30320638456_6cade04e76_k.jpg
Alcedo Atthis by Alex G, en Flickr

Actually I gave up with the tls apo + sony nex combination, it doesn't work. TLS APO was designed for micro 4/3 sensors....

I've bought an used panasonic g5... with greatly improved results. I expect to have a better tripod in a few days and I'll make a review of both systems, mainly focusing on vignetting, zoom, focal and image quality.

Actually I gave up with the tls apo + sony nex combination, it doesn't work. TLS APO was designed for micro 4/3 sensors....

I've bought an used panasonic g5... with greatly improved results. I expect to have a better tripod in a few days and I'll make a review of both systems, mainly focusing on vignetting, zoom, focal and image quality.

VERY INTERESTED.....How are you getting on with this combo? I have G85/Swaro STX 65... and looking to marry the two via this combo...I am assuming the T2 ring is the adapter for camera? Do you still maintain the twist out eye cup? Thanks Raptor.

There are 3 TLS APO adapters available for different size sensors: 23mm (4/3), 30mm (APS-C) and 43mm (full frame). The TLS APO 30mm is the correct adapter for the NEX5, I use this TLS APO on the Sony a6000, which has the same size sensor as the NEX.
Regards
Mark

Same as that, works for me

Attachments

• _DSC4109-002.jpg
    _DSC4109-002.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 123
  • _DSC4221-001.jpg
    _DSC4221-001.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 124
  • _DSC4162-001.jpg
    _DSC4162-001.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 137
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back