• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (3 Viewers)

Looks to be a good bino but comes at a steep increase in cost....2435 Euros or $3300. It sure seems that optics (lens, bino's and scopes) are getting very pricey. You pay for what you get but wow, just think if you opted for the newest out there in terms of scopes and bino's what your wallet would look like.

Can one afford both the scope and the bino's now? Is that the message now hitting us?

I think those prices include 19% German VAT, so my guess is that here in the states anyway, the SF's will probably be around the same price as the SV's, maybe $2500?

My wife and I travel with two binos and a scope sitting on the back seat. When I think of what I paid for this, I definitely question my sanity. :smoke:

But then we look at the birds (and fish, and whales, and other stuff) and it all seems worth it once again. Kind of a lifetime investment.

Mark

My wife and I travel with two binos and a scope sitting on the back seat. When I think of what I paid for this, I definitely question my sanity. :smoke:

But then we look at the birds (and fish, and whales, and other stuff) and it all seems worth it once again. Kind of a lifetime investment.

Mark

Agreed...it is a lifetime investment...That is the reason why I purchased the HT's over the Conquest for I really don't think the Conquest is a 'lifer'....

Same with camera gear and same with decision on a scope I would like. But wow, like as said, it is a killer on the pocket book. It isn't a matter of just having a pair of binos but now the scope and the camera gear...jim

I think those prices include 19% German VAT, so my guess is that here in the states anyway, the SF's will probably be around the same price as the SV's, maybe $2500?

Mark

Mark

You hit the nail on the head. And if you look at the moolah some folks spend on hi-fi, cars, gym membership, cigarettes and beer and two new mobile phones and laptops a year..... spending the odd fortune on bins and scopes doesn't seem so bad. Does it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the SF comes out a bit more expensive than the EL SV, what with the better spec, better made, reliable focus etc. :-O

Just kidding Mark :king:

Lee

Agreed...it is a lifetime investment...That is the reason why I purchased the HT's over the Conquest for I really don't think the Conquest is a 'lifer'....

Well ... When I bought my Zeiss 10x40 BGA in 1980, I thought it was a lifetime investment. And then I bought the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA in the 1990s. My next lifetime investment was my Zeiss Victory 10x40. And then it was a Nikon 10x40 SE. Also a lifetime investment.

After that I said to myself that I'd wait with my next lifetime investment until there's some *real* progress. And a pair where everything was just right. Alright, I bought a few bins here and there, but nothing *really* expensive.

But looking at the Victory SF, that may well be my next lifetime investment.

Hermann

Well ... When I bought my Zeiss 10x40 BGA in 1980, I thought it was a lifetime investment. And then I bought the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA in the 1990s. My next lifetime investment was my Zeiss Victory 10x40. And then it was a Nikon 10x40 SE. Also a lifetime investment.

After that I said to myself that I'd wait with my next lifetime investment until there's some *real* progress. And a pair where everything was just right. Alright, I bought a few bins here and there, but nothing *really* expensive.

But looking at the Victory SF, that may well be my next lifetime investment.

Hermann

Its a familiar story Hermann, except I bought my Dialyt 10x40 BGAs in 1986 and kept them until 2003 and then EL, FL, HT ............. :king:

Lee

pdf-manual says 790 g, homepage says 780 g
zeiss and weights...
;-)

the FOV is crazy, 148 m for the 8x42,

field flatteners,
better edge sharpness
a bridge design,
SP-prisms,
better eye relief,
92% transmission,
color fidelity,
huge field of view,

it's a Sweiss/Zeissovsky!

:)

Last edited:
Its a familiar story Hermann, except I bought my Dialyt 10x40 BGAs in 1986 and kept them until 2003 and then EL, FL, HT ............. :king:

Lee

So multiple lifetime investments...multiple lifetime products (scope, bino and camera etc)....

I think I am going to consider my HT my lifetime bino investment for now...my camera and 400mm lens a 'half-lifetime investment' and work on my scope for a second new lifetime scope investment since I just sold an older Swaro which was an initial scope lifetime investment.

I called Zeiss USA this morning asking when the new SF will be available for purchase. I could not get a specific answer, but the agent was expecting shipments to begin around the end of June. So, maybe we will start seeing them sometime in July here in the US, assuming no HT type issues.

Hopefully Mike J will let us know.

I also asked about the 32mm models but the agent had not been given any information on those.

pdf-manual says 790 g, homepage says 780 g
zeiss and weights...
;-)

the FOV is crazy, 148 m for the 8x42,

field flatteners,
better edge sharpness
a bridge design,
SP-prisms,
better eye relief,
92% transmission,
color fidelity,
huge field of view,

You left out what is for me perhaps the most important feature compared to the SV--focusing speed and precision. The promotional material implies that it is effortless and intuitive which suggests that it might even be variable-ratio!

--AP

Last edited:
I called Zeiss USA this morning asking when the new SF will be available for purchase. I could not get a specific answer, but the agent was expecting shipments to begin around the end of June. So, maybe we will start seeing them sometime in July here in the US, assuming no HT type issues.

Hopefully Mike J will let us know.

I also asked about the 32mm models but the agent had not been given any information on those.

July was the plan, but I realistically see late August. This will be a high demand global product so as production begins, I will assume availability will be limited as the factory gets going. Every region will get some but it can not be confirmed how fast. Keep in touch with your local retailer is my best suggestion. I can't comment on a 32mm at this time. We will need to get this product under control first before we evaluate the viability of a 32.

You left out what is for me perhaps the most important feature compared to the SV--focusing speed and precision. The promotional material implies that it is effortless and intuitive which suggests that it might even be variable-ratio!

--AP

For me, too. But 1.8 turns from close focus to infinity sounds needlessly and disappointingly slow... FL is about 1.1 or a little less.

http://www.zeiss.co.uk/content/dam/...s-article/Press-Information_VICTORY-SF_EN.pdf

Last edited:
A couple of months ago I got my 10x42 Victory HT, but I don't think I have to run and sell it. ;) At least the HT has a 3% greater light transmission rate than the new SF (Smart Focusing). ;)

For me, too. But 1.8 turns from close focus to infinity sounds needlessly and disappointingly slow... FL is about 1.1 or a little less.

http://www.zeiss.co.uk/content/dam/...s-article/Press-Information_VICTORY-SF_EN.pdf

Hmm...that's the first time I've seen the 1.8 turns info. That does sound slow, if accurate. I can only hope it describes the total travel available, and that 0.8 turn is actually for focus beyond infinity. The reference to 2.5 turns in conventional bins is marketing BS. The 8x32 FL is exactly one turn from 5 ft to infinity. Doesn't look likely that my hope for a variable ratio mechanism will be fulfilled.

--AP

I think it might be about the same speed as the FL:s
since closest focus distance differs with 0,5 meter,

SF (=HT) focus wheel size is also larger than FL, and should be more precise,

or SF might have some kind of progressive focusing (like the Zeiss scopes),

for me it actually look like a pair of binos that could be a worthy replacement
of my 7x42 FL:s,

KISKA designers? and Zeiss seem to have done a great job on the ergonomics design,

:t:

Last edited:
July was the plan, but I realistically see late August. This will be a high demand global product so as production begins, I will assume availability will be limited as the factory gets going. Every region will get some but it can not be confirmed how fast. Keep in touch with your local retailer is my best suggestion. I can't comment on a 32mm at this time. We will need to get this product under control first before we evaluate the viability of a 32.

Mike .... Thanks for the follow-up.

I noticed Zeiss is signed up to attend the Tucson, AZ Bird & Wildlife Nature Expo in August. Should I make it down there, I assume there will be some Victory SF models available for viewing along with some of the other new Zeiss products!

Mike,

Have you handled one, now that the cat is out of the bag?

I'm really wondering about transmissions and color rendering / bias... (?)

My gosh Zeiss even blows what binocular they're talking about at the end of their SF 42 press release they say immediately following the SF42 technical data, "Every pair of ZEISS VICTORY HT binoculars . . ."

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back