• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally ordered my lens... (1 Viewer)

Scott67

Exhausted !
After much prevaricating over lord knows how many years, I have finally ordered a 300mm f4 IS from Kerso ( Ian )

Great Price, hope its as great a lens as I think its going to be :D

Any Advice on Filters ??

I use a Hoya Pro UV(0) on my 17-40, any alternatives or just stick with the Hoya ?

Hopefully the lens will be here later this week, so I'll send off for the cashback and start taking pictres again

Cheers all

Interesting. I have also just sent for my lense from Kerso (100-400). I was wondering about filters and from past threads this is one of those issues that is very subjective i.e. there are 2 definite camps
1) why spend a small fortune on a lense then put a filter on which WILL downgrade the image quality ?
2) why spend a small fortune then not protect it ?
I was discussing this last week with someone who just leaves his lense hood on all the time and reckons that protects it while not affecting the IQ

Good choice, I'm sure you will be satisfied of its results.
As for filters, I'm not the one who can give advice, since I almost never use any, I find they degrade IQ a bit too much ... if you use them just to protect the front lens element, I much prefer keeping the hood always extended (even in my backpack, or just adding its cap)
Cheers,
Max
PS looking forward to seeing your next shots ;)

EDIT: for David: it appears we were writing the same things at the same time LOL

Nice one Scott I'm sure you'll enjoy using your new lens.

As others have said filters are very subjective, some people hate them others wouldn't be without them... In my experience they work fine on wide angle lenses but seem to degrade image quality on telephotos. I have tested the same filter on my 28-70 f2.8 and my 100-400 IS - on the 100-400 it degrades IQ quite badly, but on the 28-70 it seems to have no effect. If possibel go to a retailer where you can try a filter and see how it works with your new lens.

I suppose IQ would suffer if you use a "generic shop brand filter"
But not sure when it comes to the more expensive filters, as mentioned I use a Hoya Pro on one of my lenses, that I mainly use for Wedding photography ( not a pro by the way ).
Up to now I see nothing that worries me ( Using a 20d ).

However adjusting my position on the fence, I do see the point of spending a lot of money just to cover the front with another piece of glass.

Not sure what to do now.

Think I'll take a few shots without, then maybe put the filter from my 17-40 on and compare.

Last edited:
I use a Hoya Pro1 Digital filter on my 17-40 f4 and cannot see any degrading of IQ BUT exactly the same filter on my 400mm f5.6 and the image is degraded quite noticable (never use one now on the 400mm)
I am with Pete on this one, Filters effect telephotos a lot more than wide angles.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back