• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull (NE Italy) (1 Viewer)

Hippolais

Luca Boscain
Large gull photographed today in Chioggia (VE)...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 68
hi,

this is a male type 1cy northern argentatus. i say northern since it bearly has moulted a few scaps. this usually is the case in more northern birds. maybe it comes from russia or northern scandinavia.

cheers,

Because it looks the same bird of this picture of 2 days ago in the same place... but this individual has been identified as Great Black-backed Gull...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 49
Northern argentatus can be big and bulky. It is certainly not the first time that they have been confused with Great Black-backed Gull...

Argentatus for me too. GBBG should have more rounded head, especially forehead, more contrasting and colder plumage tones.
I guess that size and GC-pattern have leaned to GBBG ID but these are fine for argentatus.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back