• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does Birds and mammals of the future count here? (1 Viewer)

Chigrl

What she was to gorillas, I am to chihuahuas
One of my most favorite passtimes is figuring out what mammals and birds of the future will look like. I have been making sketches and drawings of them since 1992 and have compiled quite a collection, you might say. I was totally inspired by Dougal Dixon's book "After Man; A Zoology of the Future". Though I was disappointed in Animal Planet's "The Future is Wild" because there is no way on Earth squids will ever take over the land. But I commend this author on his earlier works in this field. Anyway, if I may, I'd love to share some of my works with some of my own creations so far.

Well, here's one anyway. Said the others were too large.

Attachments

• Caprihyrax.jpg
    Caprihyrax.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 267
More examples. Sorry I'm not much of one for drawing alot of scenery, but heck you all get a basic idea what these animals should look like...

Attachments

• BrittoniaSM.jpg
    BrittoniaSM.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 244
  • BromLemurSM.jpg
    BromLemurSM.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 253
  • CarnodorcasSM.jpg
    CarnodorcasSM.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 240
  • DichocerosSM.jpg
    DichocerosSM.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 266
  • DyscampturusSM.jpg
    DyscampturusSM.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 242
A few birds. My specialty is flightless birds. More mammals...

Attachments

• LipoptesSM.jpg
    LipoptesSM.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 240
  • ManchoSM.jpg
    ManchoSM.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 251
  • OrochoreutesSM.jpg
    OrochoreutesSM.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 267
  • EuierolemurSM.jpg
    EuierolemurSM.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 264
  • Posthistoric rhea.jpg
    Posthistoric rhea.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 237
Indeed this is interesting topic. I've also been fascinated by that Dixon book. Where is evolution going? Last new "inventions" are Amphibia, Reptilia, Mammalia & Aves. What would the next class be like? Whatever the Cyanobacteria still have in their back pocket?

Good pictures. Do You have background stories for them?

Sorry to use up all your board space, but this is fun. If it gets too low, let me know and I'll remove some.

Attachments

• tamanoa2SM.jpg
    tamanoa2SM.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 229
  • TrechocygnusSM.jpg
    TrechocygnusSM.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 227
  • TyrannopithecusSM.jpg
    TyrannopithecusSM.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 227
  • VelocitheriumSM.jpg
    VelocitheriumSM.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 235
Karwin said:
Indeed this is interesting topic. I've also been fascinated by that Dixon book. Where is evolution going? Last new "inventions" are Amphibia, Reptilia, Mammalia & Aves. What would the next class be like? Whatever the Cyanobacteria still have in their back pocket?

Good pictures. Do You have background stories for them?

Thank you for your compliments. Oh yes, I've given these animals a "life". I talk about them like they are already around, LOL. I guess I cannot wait. Actually I believe if history is any indication, major classes do not die out. Birds, mammals, reptiles and insects will always be around in various forms.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back