• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Fuji X-T1 (1 Viewer)

Werner H.

Some photos from today bad wether so Iso 1600-3200 and shutter 1/20 - 1/125 sec., manual focus. Fuji X-T1 with APO TLS adapter direct on the Swaro 85. Effective aperture is 21. Distance about 10 - 12 meters.

rgds Werner

Last edited:
APO TLS versus Afocal

Great shots with good detail. Do you prefer the APO against using a lens. I have recently tried the XT-1 with a 27mm f 2.8 lens & the results have been quite good up to 15-20M distance. (The combined f No is 8.4 when using the 25X magnification.) I prefer this lens because you get no vignetting & the lens movement for focusing is very small. I do have problems with getting the right exposure depending on the amount of contrast. Interesting camera & scope combination.

Regards

Grundy

Hi Grundy,

thank you first.
You also can apply the Fuji 35/1,4 and the 56/1,2 = 85 mm on the X-T1.
No vignetting with the 35/1,4 and very light vignetting with the 56/1,2.
The APO is very suitable for near distance from about 6 to 20 meters.
The X-T1 is very good for higher Iso up to 3200.

For videoscoping I really prefer the Sony RX100 MKIII. Very easy to handle and great results mostly.

Photos of the combi will follow.

regards Werner

Great shots with good detail. Do you prefer the APO against using a lens. I have recently tried the XT-1 with a 27mm f 2.8 lens & the results have been quite good up to 15-20M distance. (The combined f No is 8.4 when using the 25X magnification.) I prefer this lens because you get no vignetting & the lens movement for focusing is very small. I do have problems with getting the right exposure depending on the amount of contrast. Interesting camera & scope combination.

Regards

Grundy

Last edited:
Having exposure challenges with X-T1

I've just started using the X-T1 with 27mm pancake on a Zeiss 85mm with 20-75 eyepiece. I have very little vignetting. I find that auto focus doesn't always get the right focus; often need to tweak the focus on the scope.

I have had challenges with exposure, particularly when shooting in lower light. When I depress the shutter half way to focus and determine exposure, the image becomes brighter proportional to a smaller aperture. If I choose f2.8, no change. I often use f8 for birding for DOF and this greatly increases the brightness on the viewfinder/LCD and on the captured image. Doesn't happen when shooting subjects lit by full sunlight. Happens whether I use auto or manual exposure, P or A, and a number of other setting choices.

Camera and lens work fine without the scope.

Have you experienced this and found a solution?

Thx

Bob

Hi Bob,

I shoot always in manual mode at full aperture and focus peaking.
I do not know these problems. Every program A or S is an automatic an good for nothing.
Try it with the manual mode. Set the shutter to electronic shutter (ES i.e. no vibrations).
Take the new SD-cards with UHS-II which are much more faster than every card on the market.
Take the highspeed modus (CH).

rgds Werner

Thank you Neil. Bad wether the last two weeks up to now. No chance for digiscoping|:(|

Rgds Werner

Last edited:
Pity that the pictures have been removed from this topic. I think strongly about buying a Fujifilm X-T10, to replace my Nikon 1 V1. Does anyone have experience with the 35mm 1.4 lens coupled with a Swarovski ATS and the 25-50 eyepiece? Is it free of vignetting? I want to use it with the DCA adapter.

I am surprised that there is so little to be found about digiscoping with Fujifilm cameras. For stills this seems as good as the best option on the market. The video quality is poor, but I never use.

I tested it myself, since I bought the camera and lens. The lens has to be very close to the eyepiece to lose vignetting. I used a file to remove the inner edge of the DCA adapter, so that it can be slid further over the eyepiece. Now it's fine. This modification could be useful for other lenses too.

I also tested something else. Compared to my Nikon 1 V1 + 18,5mm, I lose 2 stops of light (both wide open at same ISO). That was a bit disappointing, and I guess it's a result of the longer focal length (18,5 vs 35mm, both 50mm equivalent with their own sensor). With better ISO handling the Fuji wins 2 to 3 stops back.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back