• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop CS3- eraser (1 Viewer)

kim

I use CS3in photoshop and when doing some minor sharpening I use layers to sharpen and then the eraser tool to sharpen the areas which I feel need this process.For some reason I cannot get the eraser tool as a circle and it just appears as a sort of cross. I haven't left the capitals on so am at a loss as to know what has gone wrong. Before I uninstall and reinstall photoshop I would be grateful if anyone could advise as how to overcome this problem!! Thanks

Kim, in my later version when all I see is the cross, I have to increase the pixel size of the eraser. The larger the magnification of your image on the screen, the higher the pixel size of the eraser needs to be. It was probably made a smaller size at a previous time.

If it's like CS2, when you choose the eraser icon in the tool box, there will be an eraser icon at the top of the screen with a tiny arrow next to it, indicating this is a drop down box. Click it, the box will open and give you choices for your eraser. Hope this helps.

Hello and thank you both for your interest and helpful advice , however at the moment nothing has made any difference. It is very strange I have been using this method for at least 10 years without a problem . After a strong cup of coffee I shall be back and if the worst comes to the worst I shall obviously have to reinstall. Again I am most grateful for the interest and advice

I don't have CS3, but on certain other Adobe programs you just use the square brackets on the keyboard to increase/decrease the size of any sort of brush tool (eraser, clone stamp etc).

It might be worth a try.

Malcolm

Have reinstalled and everything is back to normal, somewhat baffling and rather annoying. I love Photoshop but just occasionally it does throw up these glitches!! Thanks again for the help and advice.

A little bit late for you, but I had a similar problem on an early version of PS. Rather than reinstall you can hold the alt-ctrl-shift keys when the program starts up and it should reset the preferences.

That's brilliant Frank thank you, I've made a note of it in case it happens again . I had something similar once before but that was only because I left the capitals on . I have no idea what caused it this time.

This is located under application Preferences, something to the effect of choosing between "crosshair" and "actual brush size/shape." Probably under "Interface" or "Brushes" or somesuch.

I can't really guide you where in the Preferences panels it's located because I'm on Photoshop CC2015 and haven't touched CS3 since it was new.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back