• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (3 Viewers)

Hi Matt - I'll get a case of Pepper and I have recently planted a small lemon grove, so expect organic lemons very soon -'til then Somerfields will have to do. Hi Martin - glad you're enjoying this particular piece of nonsense - May I suggest a pint of Old Tom, or even Theakstons Old Peculiar? - If it's too sweet, I think there' a dark drink made in Ireland that seems to be catching on ;)

Sally's just bought me a pair of lovebirds, which we've named John & Liz after friends of ours in Barnsley - Here's the first observations. Also another from the life class. Oyk watercolour which has recently been commissioned from Switzerland - nice to do thrift in winter!
Just enjoyed a nice Californian white with roast duck and veg - rather pleasant way to spend a wet afternoon.
Cheers All.

Attachments

• John.jpg
    John.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Liz.jpg
    Liz.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 213
  • LifeD.jpg
    LifeD.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 300
  • OykThrift.jpg
    OykThrift.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Hi Tim,
Great sketches as always, look forward to following this thread...
Envious of the studio, painting on a kitchen table in the kitchen at the moment, tiny apartment! Looking to move soon though to somewhere with a spare room, where I will immediatly set up a desk and lamp and set about creating a glorious mess!!

:hi: Hi Tim love your sketches-wouldnt mind a cup of coffee in the morning-black and thick where 50cent coin can float on it(ah)-i feel like sending you one of my nightmares-a patient weighing 250lbs-lol-it takes me a hour to find a abcess on his body :D -and the thing is he is perfectly fit even though he is over weight but my couch take's a hammering every time he is in for a check up.Will try to send you some of my doodles but dont leave town after seeing them will you :'D :t:

I am beginning to see a theme here with work/studio space. I am starting to understand what I should be looking for in a house. Sorry to be redundant, but my question wasn't answered before, so how in the world do you people find these places?
Someone share.

I am enjoying what you are doing in the life drawing class. Nice work. Are you using only charcoal for that?

John Threlfall etc. . .

Hi Folks - in the interest of furthering the development of the Art Forum - I would like to recommend this Gallery Site - It has an excellent collection of work by John Threlfall. He is in the modernist landscape tradition (I feel) and there are elements of Sir Stanley Cursiter and even Keith Shackelton in his works.
Happy viewing.
http://www.rockcliffegallery.co.uk and go to 'Artwork For Sale' - you'll find John there.

In a similar vein, here are a couple of recent landscapes from my studio.

Attachments

• WindwickBw.jpg
    WindwickBw.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 244
  • RAZORBIL.jpg
    RAZORBIL.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 275
  • ShapLandscape.jpg
    ShapLandscape.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Hoy.jpg
    Hoy.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 229
  • MyRock.JPG
    MyRock.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
birdpotter said:
I am beginning to see a theme here with work/studio space. I am starting to understand what I should be looking for in a house. Sorry to be redundant, but my question wasn't answered before, so how in the world do you people find these places?
Someone share.

I am enjoying what you are doing in the life drawing class. Nice work. Are you using only charcoal for that?
Hi Elizabeth - I think a workspace can be just about anywhere - as long as you can lay out your materials without fear of grubby little fingers tampering with them (unless they're your own, of course). Arthur obviously has a wonderful light area which looks almost purpose-built (I'm sure he'll enlighten us) and Woody, as mentioned, uses his conservatory. Personally I've always needed a room of my own and in the past this has included renting space for my own work. Where I live now is, for me, ideal - but I had to uproot the whole family and relocate it on the edge of the 'known world' to get what I wanted. Fortunaltely Sally also wanted the same thing and the kids were young enough to adapt. An alternative to moving round the world for a studion, do you have the space to erect a garden shed? these can be great spaces in which to work. One final point to note, however - if you look at Alan's contribution (Buzzard12) - he is 'making do' with a kitchen table - an I can sense he's a little frustrated about this, BUT if I could produce the quality of work he does - on a kitchen table, I'd be delighted.

Hi Manjeet - I assume the 'large' chap is being offered up as a drawing model, yes (You aren't wanting me to give him a medical examination to see if I can find anything wrong? are you!) ;) I remember my first ever life drawing class - I was a kid of 18 years old and our model was called Anne - a lovely middle-aged lady who weighed in excess of 30 stones! She positioned herself directly in front of me (barely 5 feet away and proceeded to 'pose' - the pose was on a stool, one leg up under her buttocks and the other stretched out at a 30 degree angle - I can still see the image in my mind's eye.
I know it's early ,- but I think I'll have a double Vodka, please!!!!!!

Morning Tim how are you dooin this damp old day,i was a wee bit under the weather yesterday[some thing i ate i supose].However sitting around i got the old sketch pad out for an hour and how time flew. Not that i can draw for toffe. fun tho.I like your black n white
. Is that of the north side of windwick?. I like it out there with the water fall and ravens. Cant wait for squill ,thrift and spring!.

Well I have a day off work but the weather's disgusting so I'm drinking beer, sorting out my bookshelves and just not doing a lot. I might do some Avocet drawings from my digiscoped pictures of last week and put them up for your edification. ;)

timwootton said:
Hi Elizabeth - I think a workspace can be just about anywhere - as long as you can lay out your materials without fear of grubby little fingers tampering with them (unless they're your own, of course). Arthur obviously has a wonderful light area which looks almost purpose-built (I'm sure he'll enlighten us) and Woody, as mentioned, uses his conservatory. Personally I've always needed a room of my own and in the past this has included renting space for my own work. Where I live now is, for me, ideal - but I had to uproot the whole family and relocate it on the edge of the 'known world' to get what I wanted. Fortunaltely Sally also wanted the same thing and the kids were young enough to adapt. An alternative to moving round the world for a studion, do you have the space to erect a garden shed? these can be great spaces in which to work. One final point to note, however - if you look at Alan's contribution (Buzzard12) - he is 'making do' with a kitchen table - an I can sense he's a little frustrated about this, BUT if I could produce the quality of work he does - on a kitchen table, I'd be delighted.

YOu know, I used to think the same thing about a workspace being to able exist just about anywhere. Right now, my space is in the dungeon/basement. I've painted a sunset on the wall just to cheer me up a bit when I am down there. We will hopefully be moving soon and I want to keep a look out for the ideal space. I need those great windows and views for contemplative reasons. Right now, there just isn't a space in our little house to just sit and stair out the window and be inspired, to observe, or to just zone out enough to later be able to focus(even if there were, I would be looking at another house or the street). It becomes a little more complicated for me since my end medium is clay. Ideally, I would like to have a work space for my clay and a viewing/sitting/contemplating space in the same area. And a pony.

I like Threlfall's work. Would you explain '"modernist landscape tradition"? What defines that? Is there a specific time period for this and it is now being re-invented? I plan on looking at the other artists you mentioned inspired Threlfall.

Best
Elizabeth

Tim,
I took a look at the other artists and back at Threlfall.
Shackleton has this almost hyperrealism going on with some of his work. It's interesting. Cursiter seems to be more along the same lines as Threlfall; is that the modernist landscaping tradition? I think I am seeing it. My husband and I have been going back and forth from Threlfall's and your work and there is clearly something missing from Threlfall's. Not that I should even be comparing the two.

The more I see of your paintings, the more I am falling in love with them. It is all about the visibilty of the paint and the brushstrokes for me and what the viewer can get out of simple color and shape.

Afternoon All!
Hi Dafi - the windwick charcoal drawing is from the cliff walk from the memorial plaque to the Opal and Narborough disasters - about halk a mile up the cliff and the colour seastack painting is the same rock you can see on the foreground black and white (if that makes sense!). Like you, I'm waiting eagerly for the spring flowers, truly a magical time, isn't it.
Hi VB - beer on a wet Monday is my idea of civilisation, young lady! Look forward to seeing the drawings.
Elizabeth - in the best art traditions I think I've probably made up the term 'modern landscape tradition' and will have possibly forgotten it by next week! - But what I think I mean is - modern colour and approach using pastoral subjects (representative and naturalistic). There may be this term in usage already - and if there is, it probably means something different from what I want it to mean, but it's a free world.
Thank you very much for the kind words about my work - I suppose it's something all artists feel at some time or other - ie. I wish I could paint like so-and-so, - I just really like John manages to simplify his palette and he has a wonderful economy of brushstrokes. I envy his ability. Perhaps, though, we forget how lucky we are to be able to produce anything at all. Good luck witht the house hunt.

Last edited:
good aftrenoon Tim,yea thats a nice area for a wander and falls of migrants. Years ago a mate rented one of the houses looking out on the bay. He would look out when big easterlys were pushing in and watch surfers out playing How dodgy is that!!

hi Tim a nice pint of your best bitter Sir ,
no my room wasn't purpose built, but fits the bill nicely. I claimed it when we moved in.17ft. x 8ft. You can see it on the left side of the bungalow. I hope you don't mind me posting these pictures on your thread ? The steam trains go by every 20 minutes when running. Thomas is only for Half term.
Cheers for now , arthur

Attachments

• DSC_0059.jpg
    DSC_0059.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 232
Hi, Tim!
I've just found this thread by you. I'm in a hurry but... I'd love to enjoy a hot chocolate while having a look around! ;) I will visit this thread again with more time, but I couldn't resist to greet you and say a couple of things:
a) What is that introdution with "an old man indulgences"??? My idea of an old man has nothing to do with yours, it seems.
b) Loved to see the famous "Puffins" in your wall (I've noticed it was very appreciated in the gallery, by the way) and the "lovely chaos" of your studio! ;)
c) You look very different to the other 2 pics I've seen of you. Are you a man of "several faces"?
No time now for "art critic" but I promise to come back for more serious discussions. Cheers, Tim!

Hi Arthur - pint on the bar! I can't imagine why you'd want to claim that room for yourself ;) - It's a beauty. Please feel free to post anything you want (it's everyone's forum) - I'm sure everyone bothering to read this thread is just as interested (nosey!?) as I am in other folk's stuff.

Hello Marian - fancy seeing you here - Hot choccy coming up - the face posted here is very much a 'morning after the night before' face - if you look really closely, you may make out two eyes on this face - but you do need to study really hard. Come and join us for something stronger a little later.
Cheers - Tim.

timwootton said:
Hi VB - beer on a wet Monday is my idea of civilisation, young lady! Look forward to seeing the drawings.

Drawings are being worked on as I speak (type). Just been looking at the BBC4 news and am struck by the resemblance of Iran's Mahmood Ahmadinejad to David Beckham...darker and older of course.

timwootton said:
Cheers Peter,
You have an Islay on the bar anytime you care to partake, sir. And a good single malt is ALWAYS expensive, unfortunately. Personally I err on the milder side - Talisker and Islays are just a tad forthright on my palette (That's gob palatte, not painting . . . . you know) so Aberlour and Old Fettercairn give me the mellowness required. Please bring some of your stuff to the studio (there may actually be some folk who are still unaware of your talents - I'd like to put that right!).
Cheers, Tim.

Hey Tim!
I'll take that Islay, let's see, do you have 16 year old Lagavulin? ... ah, the peat ...mmm, that's good stuff.

I would like to post a few images in the gallery, but I am not sure how... I clicked on the insert image link and a prompt for some html came up but I am not quite sure what to type in. Any help would be great. For now, anyone interested can visit my website....www.mathiosstudios.net Also, I'm looking forward to seeing some more paintings of yours. What are you currently working on?
Peter

peter mathios said:
Hey Tim!
I'll take that Islay, let's see, do you have 16 year old Lagavulin? ... ah, the peat ...mmm, that's good stuff.

I would like to post a few images in the gallery, but I am not sure how... I clicked on the insert image link and a prompt for some html came up but I am not quite sure what to type in. Any help would be great. For now, anyone interested can visit my website....www.mathiosstudios.net Also, I'm looking forward to seeing some more paintings of yours. What are you currently working on?
Peter
Hi Peter - Lagavulin is available - and is also free of charge for the first decade. In fact I'll join you. What do you mean you can't post things in the Gallery - you post stuff there all the time, don't you? Or do you mean you want to post images to this thread? (which is what I hoped you would do). Assuming that's the case - you need to click the green 'POST REPLY' button - you will then be able to add attachments from your hard drive - they will be uploaded as part of your message. You'll need to give the 'POST REPLY' a title. Hope that's what you meant. Good luck and Cheers! Tim

ahhh...

I think I got it figured out...
Here are a couple of works in progress and nearing completion. The first of a winter scene with a pair of mallards and an american wigeon drake - a painting that I have been working on since 2002 and I am finally on a path that I feel is working! The second is of a greenwing teal - although I am not quite happy with the water yet and the low light colors. Any critique from any artists at your studio would be welcome.
Peter
www.mathiosstudios.net

Attachments

• Winter Hideaway 1.jpg
    Winter Hideaway 1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Greenwing Teal 1.jpg
    Greenwing Teal 1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 292
I've got them now, Peter! First impressions are they are clearly going to be up to your usual impeccable standard. I can see immense potential in them and, when finished, they won't be hanging around on your gallery walls for very long! But, to quote the lovely Marian Alvarez, I am in a rush. But in my case - to get to bed - kids to school in the morning - me to work (on graphic design, aaaarggggh!), and Sally all lonely and tucked up(but probably asleep!).
Feel free to entertain yourselves in my absence - just please remember to switch off the lights when you leave. Speak later Peter.
G'night all.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back